Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Targets ?

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
When gus turned up the target was to avoid relegation. We did

Next season to push for promotion, we won the title

Last season to consolidate our position in the Championship. We did

This season to make the play offs. ...?. All this whilst having an overall target of creating an identity and building the club up to be a future prem club.

So my question is, if we do not go up, what would people expect to be the realistic target. Can we seriously expect the target to be automatic promotion ? Whenever teams TARGET this in the championship , they generally fail.

Awaits cool story bro.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
185e5_ORIG-cool_story_bro_4.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ok I'll play.

Fingers crossed this season we are a play-off team.

Until such time as we are promoted we will always be a play-off team.
The moment we slip below that standard then it'll be a failure, with all that entails.

We'll never start the season as promotion favourites, because of the gulf in financial muscle from the previous seasons relegated EPL sides.

Rocket science, it ain't.

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
Ok I'll play.

Fingers crossed this season we are a play-off team.

Until such time as we are promoted we will always be a play-off team.
The moment we slip below that standard then it'll be a failure, with all that entails.

We'll never start the season as promotion favourites, because of the gulf in financial muscle from the previous seasons relegated EPL sides.

Rocket science, it ain't.

Favourites ?. Nt bothered about that, but what targets would be set ?. Surely another season of play offs as the target is not sufficient fo our enormous club.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
When gus turned up the target was to avoid relegation. We did

Next season to push for promotion, we won the title

Last season to consolidate our position in the Championship. We did

This season to make the play offs. ...?. All this whilst having an overall target of creating an identity and building the club up to be a future prem club.

So my question is, if we do not go up, what would people expect to be the realistic target. Can we seriously expect the target to be automatic promotion ? Whenever teams TARGET this in the championship , they generally fail.

Awaits cool story bro.

To be pedantic, I don't think this seasons target was stated as play-offs, it was, as far as I recall, to improve on last year

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Favourites ?. Nt bothered about that, but what targets would be set ?. Surely another season of play offs as the target is not sufficient fo our enormous club.
We have another x amount of seasons of play-off contenders, until such time as we go up, or the wheels fall off.

There is no way out enormous club is big enough to compete with 3 clubs on £40m and at least another 3 speculating stoopid money to get promoted.

Live with it and enjoy the ride, because it won't be anywhere near as fun, as and when (if) promotion ever arrives.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
To be pedantic, I don't think this seasons target was stated as play-offs, it was, as far as I recall, to improve on last year

Irrespective what the target was at the start of the season, and I think you're right it was fairly open-ended.
Now there's only one target for the season not to be a failure.

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
We have another x amount of seasons of play-off contenders, until such time as we go up, or the wheels fall off.

There is no way out enormous club is big enough to compete with 3 clubs on £40m and at least another 3 speculating stoopid money to get promoted.

Live with it and enjoy the ride, because it won't be anywhere near as fun, as and when (if) promotion ever arrives.

Yeah, it was tongue in cheek. I liken chasing promotion to courting the mrs. Then once you reach your goal of promotion, it's all pretty dull after that.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Finishing at least 6th is the target. If we don't go up, it'll be the target again next season - only problem is that there are at least 10 teams who, at the start of the season, have genuine aspirations to reach the playoffs.

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;5644120 said:
If we'd have had Leo at the start of the season we'd be challenging for automatics, next season I think we have to look at that as our target.

Spot on. That's why I asked the question. Even Lord Gus himself has mentioned on more than one occasion how different things might be with the big guy from the start. Target or no target, next season there will be more pressure from all angles if we are still in this division. Not good really as that will only make life more difficult.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here