Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where are all the right wing stand-up comedians?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Thought this was a really interesting article. Can we open this discussion without it being a binfest or bringing Thatcher in to it I wonder?

Where are all the right-wing stand-ups?

Interesting point though, is it unfashionable to be right wing now, particularly in the media?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Thought this was a really interesting article. Can we open this discussion without it being a binfest or bringing Thatcher in to it I wonder?

Interesting point though, is it unfashionable to be right wing now, particularly in the media?

They had a debate on radio 4 about this a couple of weeks ago and I came to the conclusion that the BBC had got rid of them all. Right wing views seems to come out through the columnists in newspapers - and they're not funny if you are thinking Littlejohn and Clarkson -rather than the comedians nowadays.
No reason why there can't be right wing piss take of the left is there but.............

Right there's this monkey, a Pakistaani and a Scotsman.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
They're all in the Cabinet.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I didn't realise it was by Stewart Lee until the end, I can just about see why people like this stand-up but his writing is poor in my opinion and shows that he isn't as clever as he thinks he is.
I don't think there's an awful lot of explicity left-wing comedians: Josie Long, Mark Steel, Mark Thomas, Jeremy Hardy, can't think of many and they're hardly massive.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Al Murray

But generally speaking they are not permitted, certainly since the Blair brave new 'PC' ethos came into being.

But ironically, working men's and social clubs the country over have minor comedians who will throw the Sun newspaper themed comedy around to their working class often labour orientated audiences to great applause.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Given that political comedians thrive on being 'anti-establishment' in their point-scoring, a long period of right-wing government since 1979 has probably led to the decline of right-wing comedians. New Labour was not really a left-wing government so did not offer much respite.

The period before 1945 and 1979 had quite centrist government, whether Labour or Tory, so was probably more conducive for the development of right-wingers in the comedy field.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Al Murray

But generally speaking they are not permitted, certainly since the Blair brave new 'PC' ethos came into being.

But ironically, working men's and social clubs the country over have minor comedians who will throw the Sun newspaper themed comedy around to their working class often labour orientated audiences to great applause.

2 things.
1, He's not right-wing, you're misunderstanding the joke
2, If they're not permitted how are they doing good business all over the country?

robynsdad

Jan 29, 2012
The last paragraph nails it I think. Topical/satirical comedy (which is really what the article is about) thrives on taking the piss out of those in power (punching upwards). The right have been in power for over 30 years now.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Given that political comedians thrive on being 'anti-establishment' in their point-scoring, a long period of right-wing government since 1979 has probably led to the decline of right-wing comedians. New Labour was not really a left-wing government so did not offer much respite.

The period before 1945 and 1979 had quite centrist government, whether Labour or Tory, so was probably more conducive for the development of right-wingers in the comedy field.

That sounds like a very good evaluation to me.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Al Murray

You do realise that Al Murray is a character yeah? Otherwise I can throw the Daily Mail reading Alan Partridge in to the mixer.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I say I say I say, that working class chap has just used a soup spoon to eat his desert......

What a rotter his bonus was 2 million but he gambled it all in Monaco...

Yes bringing right wing comedy into the mainstream...Loads of money

The last paragraph nails it I think. Topical/satirical comedy (which is really what the article is about) thrives on taking the piss out of those in power (punching upwards). The right have been in power for over 30 years now.

Yes I think you have nailed it. And Al Murray comes from a blue blooded background and is only right wing in the Alf Garnett sense for those old enough to remember him.

Stewart should stick to stand up at which he is outstanding. I thought the article was poor.

simon swagbag

Jul 8, 2003
Eastbourne

I don't think it's unfashionable. Look at the two best selling newspapers. Where are they on the political spectrum?
It seems to be unfashionable to engage with politics in music though. Think back to "Ghost Town" or "Between The Wars" in the '80s. What are the young'uns doing thesedays? The Harlem Shake?
In comedy the fashion seems to be to leave politics out of it. Macintyre is championed by the Mail for being apolitical, sells out arenas & shifts untold DVDs. That's the way comedy has gone though, it's big business now. New comedians are encouraged to play safe if they want to break out of the local circuit.
I was at Krater at the Komedia shortly before the last election. One act got a few cheers for saying "Don't vote for Cameron", the next act said "well don't vote for Labour" & got far more cheers.
Jethro, he's right wing. He'll use tabloid rhetoric & subtly weave it into a few gags. He knows his audience.
I've read the New Statesman article. Stuart Lee's conclusion is hard to argue with.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
It seems to be unfashionable to engage with politics in music though. Think back to "Ghost Town" or "Between The Wars" in the '80s. What are the young'uns doing thesedays? The Harlem Shake?

There is only the one Plan B song I can think of, otherwise you are right - there is very little political mainstream music around.

"Let’s all go on an urban safari
We might see some illegal migrants
Oi look there’s a chav
That means council housed and violent
He’s got a hoodie on give him a hug
On second thoughts don’t you don’t wanna get mugged
Oh sh*t too late that was kinda dumb...

...Oi! I said oi!
What you looking at, you little rich boy!
We’re poor round here, run home and lock your door
Don’t come round here no more, you could get robbed for
"

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here