Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

London Marathon

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Are any fellow NSCers joining me in running the London marathon on Sunday?

If so what time are you aiming for? I'm going for 4.15 and hoping to follow the pacemaker. I tried this last year in Brighton but fell away after 20 miles and finished in 4.28.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
I'm walking rather than running it, does that still count?! ;)

I'm aiming for 8 hrs 15 mins so you'll be finished well before me!

How many marathons have you done? This will be my first and last!

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I'm walking rather than running it, does that still count?! ;)

I'm aiming for 8 hrs 15 mins so you'll be finished well before me!

How many marathons have you done? This will be my first and last!

Of course it counts. It's my third having done Brighton last year and the year before. Will be my last though and I will stick to half marathons and 10ks in the future.

the slow norris

Feb 8, 2005
Suffolk
Are any fellow NSCers joining me in running the London marathon on Sunday?

If so what time are you aiming for? I'm going for 4.15 and hoping to follow the pacemaker. I tried this last year in Brighton but fell away after 20 miles and finished in 4.28.

Are you me Driver8? I too am running it for Martlets (Virgin Money Giving | Fundraising | Charles Davies's fundraising page
if anyone is feeling generous!) and am going to pace myself using the 4.15 pacemaker, I'll look out for you.

Never run a marathon before and am looking forward to a) the relief of finishing, and b) reflecting on the money raised. On a personal note, I'm also looking forward to running past so many childhood memories on the route as I'm born and raised in South East London.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Are you me Driver8? I too am running it for Martlets (Virgin Money Giving | Fundraising | Charles Davies's fundraising page
if anyone is feeling generous!) and am going to pace myself using the 4.15 pacemaker, I'll look out for you.

Never run a marathon before and am looking forward to a) the relief of finishing, and b) reflecting on the money raised. On a personal note, I'm also looking forward to running past so many childhood memories on the route as I'm born and raised in South East London.

No, I'm definitely me! I'm running for Macmillan Cancer Support and will have a green vest with "Lee" on it!

This is my page:

Lee Burberry is fundraising for Macmillan Cancer Support

the slow norris

Feb 8, 2005
Suffolk
No, I'm definitely me! I'm running for Macmillan Cancer Support and will have a green vest with "Lee" on it!

This is my page:

Lee Burberry is fundraising for Macmillan Cancer Support

Ah, sorry, I'm pretty sure there is an NSCer running for Martlets too, crossed wires. Wow, well done on smashing your fundraising target, you should be massively proud of that. I'm going to be in a purple vest with "charlie" on it. Am off to register on Friday, then I think the nerves will start to kick in.

the slow norris

Feb 8, 2005
Suffolk
So how did we all get on? Driver8, good to see you early on, did you manage to stick to the 4.15 pacer? I lost it at about 19 miles and ended up completing in 4.39, which I'll take for my first time. The people of London were amazing today, had an awesome time

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
So how did we all get on? Driver8, good to see you early on, did you manage to stick to the 4.15 pacer? I lost it at about 19 miles and ended up completing in 4.39, which I'll take for my first time. The people of London were amazing today, had an awesome time

I suffered for trying to keep up with him through the hoards and finished in 4.58. I had backache for the last 10 miles that didn't help.

I was disappointed having done Brighton in 4.28 last year but never mind.

Well done on your time that's a great effort.

I enjoyed your excitement at seeing an Albion shirt in the crowd!

the slow norris

Feb 8, 2005
Suffolk
Ha ha, i thought you might have heard that! Unfortunately the only time i saw a palace fan as a spectator was at about mile 22 when i was walking, so it didnt seem appropriate to give it large! I was surprised by the congestion all the way through the course, expected it to thin out along the way but it didn't really, made it quite difficult in places. Under 5 hours with a bad back is still a great effort though, be proud of that

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Ha ha, i thought you might have heard that! Unfortunately the only time i saw a palace fan as a spectator was at about mile 22 when i was walking, so it didnt seem appropriate to give it large! I was surprised by the congestion all the way through the course, expected it to thin out along the way but it didn't really, made it quite difficult in places. Under 5 hours with a bad back is still a great effort though, be proud of that

I think I'll sleep well tonight!

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
You should do Brighton, there's loads more room and the same pacers. I think it's open now for next year and no need to enter a ballot.

ElkieB

Jun 24, 2008
Peacehaven
You are all heros, whatever time and make lazy sods like me think about doing it, I just hate jogging sooooo much.

Well done.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
4.25 for me,did Brighton in 3.59 last year but have been struggling with injuries and had cramps in both my legs just after tower bridge so all things considered very happy with that time

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
yes I saw him also saw 1 just after I come through the finishing line

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Congratulations to you all - those are awesome times! Finished in 8 hours 2 minutes which was actually a bit faster than I was expecting as I walked the whole way due to bad knees. Was very happy to make it in just fast enough to get a medal and an official time - was actually the third last to get one so I can say I came Third!!! ;) Wore my seagulls hat all the way round and saw one supporter wearing a seagulls shirt - think she didn't see my hat as she seemed startled when I pointed at her and shouted BRIGHTONNNN! :p

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I was in a restaurant in Covent Garden yesterday when many of the brave souls came in for some food post-race. However I saw one rather attractive young lady who had clearly been running to raise money for stroke victims. Unfortunately, she had the word STROKE written across her chest and I thought that was just asking for trouble! I was arrested shortly afterwards.

Seriously, well done to all those who ran and at the Brighton marathon. A tremendous effort.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Our daughter's friend from Billingshurst (female) posted 3hrs 56min and one of the Alfold/Loxwood "massive" (also female) did 5hrs 12min but is claiming for 2 x 20min delays at the ladies loos (she's always had a drink problem). Well done all.

At least she made it to the loos unlike Paula Radcliffe................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here