Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homophobic chant bandwagon

robynsdad

Jan 29, 2012

Good piece, which would largely reflect my perspective.
Just a couple of observations:

1. I have experienced/seen genuine and offensive homophobic abuse at a match - just once, but it does happen and i think it's worth acknowledging that. Otherwise you risk bundling this in together with what I think we would both agree to be acceptable (albeit boring) stuff

2. On Graeme le Saux I may be wrong but seem to recall reading, or hearing an interview in which he said he found it hard to know how to react to the 'gay' stuff because he didn't want to imply that he though being called gay was an insult...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Things are different now with mobile phones, but years ago on the final day of the season with promotion and relegation at stake I'd take a tranny to the match.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
Good piece, which would largely reflect my perspective.
Just a couple of observations:

1. I have experienced/seen genuine and offensive homophobic abuse at a match - just once, but it does happen and i think it's worth acknowledging that. Otherwise you risk bundling this in together with what I think we would both agree to be acceptable (albeit boring) stuff

2. On Graeme le Saux I may be wrong but seem to recall reading, or hearing an interview in which he said he found it hard to know how to react to the 'gay' stuff because he didn't want to imply that he though being called gay was an insult...

Thanks for the feedback. I agree with you that a few chants are vile and hurtful. I think it is those that should be dealt with firmly, and if they are, without throwing those which are just banter in the mix, then the real issue can be dealt with. As regards Graeme Le Saux, it must have been hard for him. I didn't believe that he had issues with gay people himself.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
Wrote a blog yesterday on it, be interested in folks thoughts...

Yes My Boyfriend Knows I’m Here… | The Pepperpot Post

Excellent blog, and good counterbalance provided by the equally good response from "oldshirts".

Agree generally with your central point, and love joining in with "you're too ugly...", but it's also interesting to get the perspective of someone who's seen and heard the real vitriol at first hand. Thankfully, I haven't - though the furious looks on the faces of some of the home fans at the Den last season suggested that whatever they were saying (which I couldn't make out) was unlikely to fall within any reasonable definition of "banter".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here