Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thirty Years' Ago Today

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Early start from Brighton station, lots of drinks around Victoria, dash to Highbury, game won, plenty of terrace madness. sunshine, headache, back to Brighton. William Tell pub rammed, singing, home, couldn't sleep, bootiful.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
In retrospect, it was a death trap. My feet didn't touch the ground for minutes at a time, it was so packed. But, yes, it was the most exhilarating Albion game ever for me.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Fantastic day. I recall leaving the ground and everybody asking who we had in the final - had to wait for someone with a portable radio to get the news from Villa Park -and we all thought rather Man U to come and have a go at us than Arsenal to sit back and defend. Great memories.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
On the friday I went to school a happy sole, looking forward to listening to it on the radio.

I got home and my mum explained that a friend of their's daughter had chicken pox, I shrugged my shoulders. She then explained that therefore she couldn't use the ticket that her dad had got her for the semi final and would I like to go instead. Wooooooooooooooohooooooooooooooooo. Most exciting sleep of my life followed, and a brilliant experience the next day!

Sadly the bitch had recovered by the final and my dad was laid low with his back so never made the final.

But will never forget the sight of Highbury that day, the noise from the masses of yellow and blue. Incredible.

:fishing:

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Newcastle 79 - utter Euphoria because we had arrived on English football's big stage
Highbury 83 - complete and undiluted happiness because we'd reached the Cup Final when it REALLY meant something to go to Wembley (a world famous football event)
Hereford - worst 90 minutes ever at a football match but BEST EVER feeling at the end (better than Newcastle & Highbury - it meant more imho)
Wembley 2013...

Funny how few people include Wembley 83 in their list - I really enjoyed the day, in a nervous sort of way, but it was a bit of an anticlimax compared to the SF at Highbury.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Liverpool away on the way to Wembley was a better away day for me, as it had a real tension about it, and Liverpool, especially in those days was a foreign country.

Agreed. We left the old Argus building at about 5am in the morning. Incredible day out. Lazer etched on my memory.

One of my abiding memories of the whole run was being allowed to bunk of lessons at BHASVIC (thanks Neil) to queue at The Goldstone ticket office for each game. I had a season ticket but you still had to queue.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
Sounds like it was a great day. It would still be 10 years before I graced this Earth, however would love to think that there may be a few more date added to the list in the coming years.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
When the second goal went in I thought to myself I have to remember this moment. Rather than jumping and screaming I stood still and just looked at every face around me. It's an image I still have and a memory that will last forever. Thing is, that is all I remember of the game.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
was too young to drink (10) but remember the trip up in the old double decker bus and the signing......the moment Robinson scored will live long in my memory

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Liverpool away on the way to Wembley was a better away day for me, as it had a real tension about it, and Liverpool, especially in those days was a foreign country.

And the M.Utd of the era beating all comers until that wonderful Sunday ... Also remember little scousers throwing stones at our van with there teenage mates egging them on, they didn't realise there was another 14 of us in the back with loads of empty cans which were then deposited in the road as we chased them off

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
One of my families great stories comes from that day.

My Dad and Granddad (both now sadly departed) set off for the game and starting drinking straight away. My Granddad was driving unbelievably.

By the time game reached half time Granddad was so drunk he didn't know what he was doing. He headed into the concourse looking for more booze... thought the game had finished, wandered out of the ground and DROVE home!!!

My Dad was left in London and had to make his own way back and turned up in Seaford in the early hours! He was furious.

Miss you both fellas. x

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall

My Dad and Granddad (both now sadly departed) set off for the game and starting drinking straight away. My Granddad was driving unbelievably.

By the time game reached half time Granddad was so drunk he didn't know what he was doing. He headed into the concourse looking for more booze... thought the game had finished, wandered out of the ground and DROVE home!!!

My Dad was left in London and had to make his own way back and turned up in Seaford in the early hours! He was furious.

Miss you both fellas. x

Amazing!

Sorry to jump on your thread but I really dont think anything today can match the feeling of all the old times (sound like an old git).I do feel sorry for younger fans who havnt experienced football in its heyday,the Goldstone derbies not the same anymore even when we beat you 5-0 in 2002 still not the same as the 70s when we might scrape a 1-0 win.Or lose every boxing day at the Goldstone Selhurst full with 52,000 agianst Burnley in 79 semi final 76 against Southampton.I try to explain to my 16 year old how its changed shame he will never have the same memories us older fans on both sides have.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Miss you both fellas. x

Unbelievable!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Some images from the day....

jimmycase2.jpg

garyhowlett.jpg

backpass3.jpg

I put the Jimmy Case image on my blog today. wanderbus identified himself as the chap holding the 'Case' sign behind the goal :)

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I was 14, mate I went with was probably 15 at the time. Not sure I would want to be sending my 14/15 year old kids to North London on their own going to a packed out Highbury but I am bloody glad my parents did! Awesome day. Got a bit panicky early on with the heat, woman next to me near the front fainted and being a short arse I was getting little air but we managed to make our way to the back and sat on top of the wall.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Some more images from this famous day....

semifinal1.jpg

semifinal2.jpg

semifinal3.jpg

Lovely close up of the Albion badge there... :love:

semifinal4.jpg

If only I was old enough at the time!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here