Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thirty Years' Ago Today

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
The best Albion away day ever IMO. Sorry to all younger readers who won't remember it !

For the record, Peterborough away in 2010 was up there in my top 3 ordinary league games.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Ah yes, I lost my virginity. Didn't realise EVERYONE knows about it though.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Programme here:

HOME - Seagulls Programmes

Page_0001.jpg

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I had the mother of all headaches that day after a few drinks around London and then stood on the clock end with no shade and the sun beaming down on us all day.

Youngsters will never experience the thrill of standing in a crowd, packed so tightly that we started at the back of the stand and by the time Case had scored, we were down the front as the crowd surges were incredible....yes in these days of H&S it would appear horrendously dangerous, but the exilleration (sp?) of that day I dont think I have ever felt since ( maybe Hereford comes close)

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I can remember very few details about the game. It was very sunny. I remember Jimmy Case scoring. Ground was packed. We were very nervous for a lot of the second half. Then the mayhem when we won. Cheeks aching from smiling.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Amazing day, as a 16 year old, stood at the clock end.

My dad lost a tooth when we scored the second :)

Anchorman

Oct 19, 2007
What a weekend even! Went back to London the next day to run my first marathon. Not sure the Saturday was the ideal preparation though, but there was no chance I was going to miss it!

OurPrice

Nov 22, 2012
This sounds incredible, I wish I was old enough to have been there (I was not even 4 in April 1983). I agree that the loss of terraces has resulted in the atmos at games changing massively. It will clearly never be replicated in a seated environment. I heard recently about the re-introduction of standing areas at certain clubs - is this being progressed at all does anyone know?

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
One of my mates currently lives in an apartment in the Clock-end of Highbury. Stayed there a few times. Wonderful place and view from the balcony. Love the fact they've kept grass in the centre of the complex so you can take a wander. Full of memories from years gone by. A similar arrangement at our old Goldstone ground would have been far more fitting than a Toys r us and a bleedin' Burger King.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
40p for a programme! That seems quite expensive for back then? P.S. I was 3 months old and sadly not in attendance or receiving pocket money to buy a programme

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
On the friday I went to school a happy sole, looking forward to listening to it on the radio.

I got home and my mum explained that a friend of their's daughter had chicken pox, I shrugged my shoulders. She then explained that therefore she couldn't use the ticket that her dad had got her for the semi final and would I like to go instead. Wooooooooooooooohooooooooooooooooo. Most exciting sleep of my life followed, and a brilliant experience the next day!

Sadly the bitch had recovered by the final and my dad was laid low with his back so never made the final.

But will never forget the sight of Highbury that day, the noise from the masses of yellow and blue. Incredible.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Although for me in many ways Hereford 14 years later was a better away day.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Although for me in many ways Hereford 14 years later was a better away day.

Liverpool away on the way to Wembley was a better away day for me, as it had a real tension about it, and Liverpool, especially in those days was a foreign country.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Newcastle 79 - utter Euphoria because we had arrived on English football's big stage
Highbury 83 - complete and undiluted happiness because we'd reached the Cup Final when it REALLY meant something to go to Wembley (a world famous football event)
Hereford - worst 90 minutes ever at a football match but BEST EVER feeling at the end (better than Newcastle & Highbury - it meant more imho)
Wembley 2013...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here