Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Members

Travel to America...

0 Not allowed!
    I'm struggling to find online anywhere how long you need on your passport to travel to America?

I've been told two different bits of information, has anyone else checked at all recently?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

0 Not allowed!
      I think its 90 days now BUT some airlines might insist on longer in case your return is delayed and passport runs out. You must have an authorised ESTA which costs $14 (done online in advance) and lasts for 2 years, or the length of your current passport.

Of course, if you do have a relatively short time left on your passport, you will attract particular interest from the friendly homeland security chaps, no doubt.
      900k people in Bromley & Croydon, almost double pop of Manchester. Bigger than Norwich & Ipswich. Fickle fans in terms of attendance, cup games increased attendance do not help.
      Steve Parish - CPFC2010

0 Not allowed!
      If your passport is not valid for at least six months beyond your date of departure from the United States, it will not affect your eligibility to travel. The United States has an agreement with the United Kingdom automatically extending the validity of a passport for six months past the passport's expiration date. Therefore, your passport need remain valid only for the duration of your stay in the United States.

If you are travelling visa free under the Visa Waiver Program and your passport is not valid for 90 days, you will be admitted into the United States until the date on which the passport expires.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Cheers Guys, I have over a year left, This saves me a few problems. Cheers.

0 Not allowed!
      I forgot about the ESTA, rocked up at Heathrow for a flight to Newark...sorry sir...you can't fly without an ESTA...shit! On the phone and Internet managed to get one in an hour! Made the flight with seconds to spare.
      I've killed women and children. I've killed everything that walks or crawls at one time or another. And I'm here to kill you, Little Bill Archer, for what you done to The Seagulls.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bevendean Hillbilly View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I forgot about the ESTA, rocked up at Heathrow for a flight to Newark...sorry sir...you can't fly without an ESTA...shit! On the phone and Internet managed to get one in an hour! Made the flight with seconds to spare.
      Can you not complete your ESTA when you get to the US? Is that not what the white form is when you land?

What is Newark like flying into? is it any quicker/different than flying into/out of JFK?

Re: Travel to America...

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Munkfish View Post
      Can you not complete your ESTA when you get to the US? Is that not what the white form is when you land?

What is Newark like flying into? is it any quicker/different than flying into/out of JFK?
      Nope, has to be done at least 72 hours before you fly or you won't be allowed to even board the plane.

I've used Newark each of the 4 times I've been to NY and found it perfectly convenient. There's a direct train to Penn Station, takes about 30 mins.
      REMF Quiz Champion 2016
      Members

0 Not allowed!

By rights, you can be denied boarding if you don't hold a valid ESTA.

Only a customs form is done on board now.

Newark is a more than adequate airport in my experience. JFK can be horrid at the right time of day if using road transport.
      900k people in Bromley & Croydon, almost double pop of Manchester. Bigger than Norwich & Ipswich. Fickle fans in terms of attendance, cup games increased attendance do not help.
      Steve Parish - CPFC2010

0 Not allowed!

Depends on where you're staying and what time you're arriving/leaving. It you're travelling on later flights, JFK is fine, cab ride in to Manhattan easy enough, if you're hitting a rush hour though, it can be a bit of a nightmare.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by mikeyjh View Post
      Depends on where you're staying and what time you're arriving/leaving. It you're travelling on later flights, JFK is fine, cab ride in to Manhattan easy enough, if you're hitting a rush hour though, it can be a bit of a nightmare.
      Flown into JFK before hit Rush hour on a friday evening! it was a complete pain in the arse.