Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Travel to America...

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I'm struggling to find online anywhere how long you need on your passport to travel to America?

I've been told two different bits of information, has anyone else checked at all recently?

Any help would be very much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I think its 90 days now BUT some airlines might insist on longer in case your return is delayed and passport runs out. You must have an authorised ESTA which costs $14 (done online in advance) and lasts for 2 years, or the length of your current passport.

Of course, if you do have a relatively short time left on your passport, you will attract particular interest from the friendly homeland security chaps, no doubt.

prawnsarnies

Jan 20, 2010
If your passport is not valid for at least six months beyond your date of departure from the United States, it will not affect your eligibility to travel. The United States has an agreement with the United Kingdom automatically extending the validity of a passport for six months past the passport's expiration date. Therefore, your passport need remain valid only for the duration of your stay in the United States.

If you are travelling visa free under the Visa Waiver Program and your passport is not valid for 90 days, you will be admitted into the United States until the date on which the passport expires.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Cheers Guys, I have over a year left, This saves me a few problems. Cheers.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I forgot about the ESTA, rocked up at Heathrow for a flight to Newark...sorry sir...you can't fly without an ESTA...shit! On the phone and Internet managed to get one in an hour! Made the flight with seconds to spare.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I forgot about the ESTA, rocked up at Heathrow for a flight to Newark...sorry sir...you can't fly without an ESTA...shit! On the phone and Internet managed to get one in an hour! Made the flight with seconds to spare.

Can you not complete your ESTA when you get to the US? Is that not what the white form is when you land?

What is Newark like flying into? is it any quicker/different than flying into/out of JFK?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Can you not complete your ESTA when you get to the US? Is that not what the white form is when you land?

What is Newark like flying into? is it any quicker/different than flying into/out of JFK?

Nope, has to be done at least 72 hours before you fly or you won't be allowed to even board the plane.

I've used Newark each of the 4 times I've been to NY and found it perfectly convenient. There's a direct train to Penn Station, takes about 30 mins.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

By rights, you can be denied boarding if you don't hold a valid ESTA.

Only a customs form is done on board now.

Newark is a more than adequate airport in my experience. JFK can be horrid at the right time of day if using road transport.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

Depends on where you're staying and what time you're arriving/leaving. It you're travelling on later flights, JFK is fine, cab ride in to Manhattan easy enough, if you're hitting a rush hour though, it can be a bit of a nightmare.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Depends on where you're staying and what time you're arriving/leaving. It you're travelling on later flights, JFK is fine, cab ride in to Manhattan easy enough, if you're hitting a rush hour though, it can be a bit of a nightmare.

Flown into JFK before hit Rush hour on a friday evening! it was a complete pain in the arse.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Nope, has to be done at least 72 hours before you fly or you won't be allowed to even board the plane.

Surprised when booking flights to US that a pop up doesn't come up to warn about the need for ESTA. I'm sure many first timers aren't even aware of them

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
6 months on your passport after the day you arrive. If it goes under that WHILE you are there you're OK

My mum had same question and ticks both those boxes

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
If your passport is not valid for at least six months beyond your date of departure from the United States, it will not affect your eligibility to travel. The United States has an agreement with the United Kingdom automatically extending the validity of a passport for six months past the passport's expiration date. Therefore, your passport need remain valid only for the duration of your stay in the United States.

If you are travelling visa free under the Visa Waiver Program and your passport is not valid for 90 days, you will be admitted into the United States until the date on which the passport expires.

I can vouch for this although US passport officers did ask more questions than normal and reminded my in both directions that my passport had less than 6 months left.

Must complete the ESTA before leaving and for a while you also had to complete the paper imigration card as well (its not just Britain that cocks up implementing computerised systems) now just ESTA. It's then valid for 2(?) years so just change the address and dates for further visits.

Newark is easier than JFK although like most US airports the facilties are adequate not great. Returning to Newark we took the ferry from Lower Manahatten to New Jersey and caught a taxi from the port to the airport just for something different.

Crackpot

Jun 4, 2011
Upper North Street

Not so...my daughter went to check in online last Thursday,some 24 hours before flight departure time,and was told she couldn't complete the process as her ESTA had expired. She went to the US website,bought a new ESTA registration,then confirmed her check in and all was ok. So,the 72 hours isn't required.You need one to fly,but can get one in 10 minutes online.

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
Surprised when booking flights to US that a pop up doesn't come up to warn about the need for ESTA. I'm sure many first timers aren't even aware of them

When booking through Virgin Atlantic it does, I just wonder how many just search esta and use one of the British companies that do it for you for £25 when you can fill in the piss easy online form on the official us site for $14

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Not so...my daughter went to check in online last Thursday,some 24 hours before flight departure time,and was told she couldn't complete the process as her ESTA had expired. She went to the US website,bought a new ESTA registration,then confirmed her check in and all was ok. So,the 72 hours isn't required.You need one to fly,but can get one in 10 minutes online.

Is the correct answer.

I travelled to the states last year and one of our group did one (frantically) at the airport about an hour before the flight in an Internet cafe.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012

This.

Newark is fine for NYC, in fact I like it because you fly down the length of Manhattan on approach so you see the famous skyline in all its glory.

JFK is a weird airport as there are several hours with no flights so international terminal can be totally empty (I know cos I've slept in it!)

Not like Heahrow with its 24 hr feel.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Sorry [MENTION=5076]Bevendean Hillbilly[/MENTION]..I see you answered the ESTA thing early in thread.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
By rights, you can be denied boarding if you don't hold a valid ESTA.

Only a customs form is done on board now.
.[/QUOT

You WILL be denied boarding if you don't have an ESTA

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here