Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Official Site] Poyet Aware of Posh Capabilities

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Gus Poyet said that Peterborough United’s position in the league should have no bearing on how his side approach the Championship game at London Road tomorrow night.
While Albion are pushing for a play-off finish, Posh are sitting just one point outside of the relegation zone in 21st position, but the Seagulls boss is aware of their recent wins against promotion-chasing clubs and admitted that his side will have to be at their best defensively to earn three points.
Poyet told seagulls.co.uk,”I don’t want to sound rude to the top teams and too nice to the teams at the bottom, but I see every team as the same.
“This game will not be more or less difficult than playing against the leaders. They are a good team and it’s very difficult to play against a team that needs the points as well.
“Our games against Peterborough have been more difficult than what people might think. They were very good at the Amex and they had the ball for long periods in the first half.
“Credit to Darren Ferguson and company because for a while they looked like they had gone. They started believing, they kept their identity and they started winning games.
“They found that ‘click’ that a manager looks for and it’s worked for them because they are now winning games against the top teams. I have been watching them and they are a team we have got to be very careful against.
“We need to be spot-on and strong. We have one of the top three defences in the Championship and we need to produce another display and make it very difficult for them. Then we need to use our qualities. It sounds boring but we need to do the basics first.
“We look forward to the game though because it’s a good place for us. I had one of my best days as a manager there two years ago and let’s see if we can maintain that winning way against Peterborough and get another three points.”
There are just four games remaining in the Championship season with four clubs pushing for the final two play-off positions, but Poyet has called for his players to maintain their mentality which has got them into this position.
“The players have been spot-on so far. We don’t want to go over the top and we have been using the key games to see how the players react to the expectations and pressure.
“It’s an opportunity and there are a lot of players over 30 in this club so who knows if it might be the last opportunity for them. It’s a mix of expectations and a sense of taking the opportunity.
“As soon as we got into the top six we knew it’s about us. If you play football and cannot deal with the expectations you are not good enough but the players know what they have to do. Our only focus is on Peterborough and trying to beat them.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here