Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet confident Albion will keep star performers [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
[h=3]Poyet confident Albion will keep star performers[/h]9:00am Monday 15th April 2013 in Albion
2408200.jpg
David salutes the Albion fans
GUS Poyet is confident Albion will keep hold of star performers like David as his side closes in on a place in the Championship play-offs.
David’s goal clinched the 2-0 win at Middlesbrough which has lifted the Seagulls to fifth, with a two-point cushion in the play-off zone, with four games to go.
The Spanish midfielder is among a long list of first team regulars and squad members out of contract at the end of the season.
Poyet, right, told The Argus: “I don’t think about it. There is not one player at this club right now in the first team who is not desperate to stay. Sometimes in the past it was difficult to hold onto players.
“I think we are on the other side now. If they have got the chance between two clubs I am sure that, if the financial conditions are more or less the same, they would be delighted to stay. They trust us as well. We are straightforward with them.”
Albion have delayed contract decisions until they know which division they will be playing in and how the squad is shaping up for next season. “We are very clear with the players,” Poyet said. “They know where we stand. We try to tell them the truth and then, if they have got a great opportunity, it’s not in our hands but everybody understands.
“They know me, they know the way we work, so there are no doubts about needing to wait and see. It’s not about players not being here if we are in the Premiership.
“It’s about the budget, it’s about plenty of things. The quantity of players finishing contracts, the players on loan like Bridgey (Wayne Bridge), who I would hate to play against, and Matt Upson, who has given us a tremendous hand in the box and on the ball. “We don’t know where they are going to be. It’s a very difficult situation. We have just finished organising the three different pre-seasons we could have.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here