Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Giant flag

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
I seem to remember a while back that there was money left over from the 'stand or fall' banner and it was planned that these leftovers would go towards a giant flag. Anyone heard the latest? Any chance of it being made in time for next season?

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
also, can it say 'because of st patricks day' :lolol:

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Think most people agreed that one giant flag might be wasteful of the spare money as it would be hard to organise storage of it, and arrange people to actually bring it to games. So it was suggested the money was spent on a few smaller flags like the dick knight one that individuals could look after. At least that was the last discussion i saw, so could be wrong...

Dec 29, 2011
Can flags be left at the ground? i.e. get a big flag, have it attached to WSU so it drapes over the side and hangs down? How do all the flags are united/arsenal/European games get organised?

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Can flags be left at the ground? i.e. get a big flag, have it attached to WSU so it drapes over the side and hangs down? How do all the flags are united/arsenal/European games get organised?

Because supporters can be 'bothered'

andy46

Mar 22, 2012
we had a giant flag in the first couple of seasons at the withdean it was nearly half the size of the south stand there- problem being we lost it !-god knows how ?. you can only use them for short periods cos when there overhead you cant see anything

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
we had a giant flag in the first couple of seasons at the withdean it was nearly half the size of the south stand there- problem being we lost it !-god knows how ?. you can only use them for short periods cos when there overhead you cant see anything
I inquired about the 'missing' flag at Withdean and was told that at the upgrade of the team changing rooms the flag was in storage was thrown out by the builders....how much truth is for you to decide

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I inquired about the 'missing' flag at Withdean and was told that at the upgrade of the team changing rooms the flag was in storage was thrown out by the builders....how much truth is for you to decide

Phil and I had a discussion with richard hebberd and we all spent a long time searching the containers that were being used by the builders at withdean and can confirm the flag had definately gone.

Richard was ver apologetic and he was convinced that it was thrown away when the clear up of builders rubble and stuff was happening.

Looking back it was a great flag, but was a bugger to get it to grounds and some stewards were concerned about the safety of it being stored once it had been passed over out heads at away games. Also I may be wrong, but didn't the supporters coaches refuse to take it along to games? I apologise if this is incorrect.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Since doing the stand or fall banner and sending over a few ideas for other flags I've heard nothing from [MENTION=2934]tomysupercup[/MENTION] - not sure how it's been left, but I'm a pretty annoyed that I spent a fair bit of time doing some designs for seemingly nothing.

Also, if there were leftover funds from the Stand or Fall banner - NSC should vote on the new designs IMO.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

We did indeed, and it was a lot of hard work, and difficult to get enough people enthusiastic about unfolding it, moving it up into the stand, and then taking it down and folding it after. We only needed about 8 people per game, but we struggled with that. The club gave us dry storage for it, in a container behind the changing rooms. And yes, believe it or not, people complained as it was being passed overhead as it obstructed their vierw of...... an empty pitch :down:

Something like this, the flag was shuffled around by the builders during a close season, and eventualy was left outside. The rain and weather in general left it a soggy, rotten, rancid mess, it's believed the builders then took it upon themselves to chuck it in the skip.

Phil and I had a discussion with richard hebberd and we all spent a long time searching the containers that were being used by the builders at withdean and can confirm the flag had definately gone.

Richard was ver apologetic and he was convinced that it was thrown away when the clear up of builders rubble and stuff was happening.

Looking back it was a great flag, but was a bugger to get it to grounds and some stewards were concerned about the safety of it being stored once it had been passed over out heads at away games. Also I may be wrong, but didn't the supporters coaches refuse to take it along to games? I apologise if this is incorrect.

Much as Granny says, it took 4 strong blokes to lift and carry the flag in its bag, we were often met with abject apathy from other fans when we took it to away grounds, the play off final being pretty much the last straw. If you do it again, make it smaller, make it much much lighter, and don't expect much help with it when you take it to away games.

In fact, don't bother, get some of those fancy waving flags at the front of the NS, lift them up when we score, oh, but no-one will be bothered to do that either.

On second thoughts, avoid making a bunch of people on here "cringe" and "embarrassed", save your money, spend it on Harveys and pies.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I'm sure it could be stored in 1 of the many rooms at the Amex.

I don't think storage would be a problem, more the actual logistics of matchdays, who's going to collect it, who's going to get it into the stand, and take it down at the end and fold it away. I know other clubs use ball boys/matchday staff to help with this, perhaps investigating that would be a good idea before anyone goes ahead and buys anything.

Richard Hebberd is on the Albion Roar this week, perhaps we could ask him if the club would be willing to help out with the logistics.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I said before, I am more than happy to chip in for this, and to also organise the taking out and putting away of the flag, I'm in the north stand right at the back so during the game it would be easy to stow behind the back row.
I also drive to most of the away games so could organise taking it there too.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
As for the weight of the thing, I'm sure last time this was discussed, someone mentioned doing it in a new lightweight material, so this would make it a lot easier for one or two people to manage.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't think storage would be a problem, more the actual logistics of matchdays, who's going to collect it, who's going to get it into the stand, and take it down at the end and fold it away. I know other clubs use ball boys/matchday staff to help with this, perhaps investigating that would be a good idea before anyone goes ahead and buys anything.

Richard Hebberd is on the Albion Roar this week, perhaps we could ask him if the club would be willing to help out with the logistics.

Hopefully [MENTION=2934]tomysupercup[/MENTION] will chip in before then as I get the impression that most/all of the logistics, for home games at least, have been resolved with the club via Richard.

I haven't got the specifics to hand, although it will be on NSC somewhere, but there is quite a significant sum already in hand to go towards a flag - something like £1000 or so I believe - from when we collected for the 'Stand or Fall' banner. I believe further funds are likely to be required.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Talking of flags [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION] has a MAHOOSIVE Uruguay flag- is there anywhere in the ground that this could go on permanent display? Assuming you want to do this Lee?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here