Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If we reach the promised land...

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
What positions would you like to see strengthened? Any players off the top of your head that you think could do a job?

For me I'd like to see:

A new goalkeeper brought in. Nothing against Casper or Brez but I don't think they could cut it in the premier league and although Kuszczak has been superb this season I'd like to see a young keeper brought in to learn from PIG and maybe be a different option if thing's aren't going well. Smithies could be a decent shout if Huddersfield go down as he is a long term prospect in my books.

Defence: Upson has been brilliant since arriving on loan but again would like to see some young talent brought in (maybe VVD is still on the cards?). I'd also like to see a new LB come in. Bridge has been superb but would he be able to cope with the pace of some of the top flight wingers? Would Bruno for that matter?

Midfield: Some more strength in the middle of the park would be nice but I think we could cope with the players we currently have. If we go up I can't see us keeping Dicker or Hammond so someone to replace them possibly. If we got into the PL I would love to see Benno return to us as I think we miss his final ball plus Buckley is an injury risk and Lua Lua is inconsistent.

Strikers: Don't think CMS would cut it at top level so would need to bring in another striker to support or replace a tired Ulloa. Can see Hoskins being sent out on loan if we stays with the club. As for Barnes I don't know where he'd fit in if we went up.

Anything else?

screamadelica

Jan 28, 2013
What positions would you like to see strengthened? Any players off the top of your head that you think could do a job?

For me I'd like to see:

A new goalkeeper brought in. Nothing against Casper or Brez but I don't think they could cut it in the premier league and although Kuszczak has been superb this season I'd like to see a young keeper brought in to learn from PIG and maybe be a different option if thing's aren't going well. Smithies could be a decent shout if Huddersfield go down as he is a long term prospect in my books.

Defence: Upson has been brilliant since arriving on loan but again would like to see some young talent brought in (maybe VVD is still on the cards?). I'd also like to see a new LB come in. Bridge has been superb but would he be able to cope with the pace of some of the top flight wingers? Would Bruno for that matter?

Midfield: Some more strength in the middle of the park would be nice but I think we could cope with the players we currently have. If we go up I can't see us keeping Dicker or Hammond so someone to replace them possibly. If we got into the PL I would love to see Benno return to us as I think we miss his final ball plus Buckley is an injury risk and Lua Lua is inconsistent.

Strikers: Don't think CMS would cut it at top level so would need to bring in another striker to support or replace a tired Ulloa. Can see Hoskins being sent out on loan if we stays with the club. As for Barnes I don't know where he'd fit in if we went up.

Anything else?

Back up keeper 2 strikers 2 cetral defenders would do it imho

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
absolute top priority would be a decent box-box midfielder alongside Bridcutt. most our midfield have dropped a level because they arent quite enough to be a first teamer there. top priority would be another stirker as Ulloa cant do it all himself for 40+ games. the rest... assuming we keep Upson and Bridge defense is OK, and the rest of the team i'd like to think most could step up or at least do a job as cover. probably need some experience though.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Evolution rather than revolution in my opinion. I'd release Hoskins, Dicker, Brezovan and Painter but I'd keep the rest for the first season and then re-invest in replacing them in the second. Like this season's squad compared to last.

We'd need a new back up goalkeeper, I like Casper but I wouldn't want him as first back up in the Premier League, I wouldn't be comfortable with only having Christian Walton as number 3 so I'd get in a new keeper to be number 2 with Casper as number 3, or Brezovan if Casper wouldn't be happy with that role. I'd deffinitely suggest we need a new centre back, I'd reluctantly release Greer if we could sign two new centre backs who are as good with their feet but better in the air and with more pace. Or Upson's experience plus another, Virgil Van Dijk perhaps.

I wouldn't sign Hammond if we can snap up two new central midfielders, a general like James McCarthey of Wigan being the main priority and then more of a playmaker type, like Elliott Bennett who would also double up as a winger. Up front, I'd be happy with just one new striker to supplement Ulloa and CMS. Ulloa is THE man, I think we can all see that when fit he'll be playing so it's going to be hard finding someone else to come in who won't play too often. Giudetti on loan from Man City would be my preference.

So, in summary and with player suggestions;
GK - Alex Smithies (Huddersfield) / Jason Steele (Middlesbrough) / Alex McCarthey (Reading)
Defence - Virgil Van Dijk (Groningen) / Matthew Upson (Free Agent) / Alan Tate (Swansea) / Johan Djourou (Arsenal)
Midfield - James McCarthey (Wigan) / Elliott Bennett (Norwich) / Jacob Butterfield (Norwich) / Esteban Granero (QPR)
Strikers - Jamie Mackie (QPR) / Max Clayton (Crewe) / Roberto Soldado (Valencia)

Now then, how happy are you all that I'm not involved in player recruitment? :thumbsup:

SamPeters18

Feb 19, 2011
Peacehaven
we would need to strengthen most areas tbh,

KEEPERS
Would need a new keeper or two, if we went to the Prem with Ankergren and Brezovan then we would need to basically wrap Kuszczak in cotton wool, unless if Poyet feels that the young keeper we got for Plymouth will be great

DEFENDERS
1/2 Center back/s - so there is competition between El-Abd, Greer and Dunk

2 Left Backs - as Bridge will be going (Unless he decides to stay long term) and Painter would not cut it in the Prem, could see maybe Alexander Buttner from Man United coming here if we go up, a young player with a lot of pace which is what Poyet likes with the defenders, maybe the Latvian player from development can be back up?

Right Back - i think we could do with one more, as reliable as Bruno and Calderon would be, one with Prem experience or one that will develop great would be nice

Midfielders
Defensive Midfield - i think we are pretty covered with Bridcutt, Crofts, JFC and Dicker - the latter maybe moving on but either bring up Rodgers or the Icelandic guy from development

Central Midfielders - With Hammond going back to Southampton at end of season i think we would be ok because Crofts, JFC and Dicker could also play CM plus there is also Orlandi and Spanish Dave who seem to be favorites there atm, with also Vicente so i dont think another Central midfielder is needed

Attacking Midfielders - I think we could do with one or two experienced/young Attacking Midfielders if we go up to the Prem because as good as LuaLua and Buckley can be (Also Orlandi and Lopez can play out wide) we need someone to add to the competition for places

STRIKERS
Well i think we all know we could do with 1 or 2 more experienced or young strikers if we go up, CMS would still be around as his work rate is brilliant but could see Hoskins and maybe Barnes being let go

I know i have basically got that we need 11 new players but at the top level if we went in with the team we got (not including Bridge or Hammond or Upson as they are loan players) we would struggle and most likely go straight back down for the 2014/2015 campaign

Players i could see coming in

Goalkeeper: Smithies from Huddersfield (Full Transfer)/Given from Aston Villa (On Loan maybe?) - Given is a long shot but considering he is not playing at Villa, he would provide great competition with Kuszczak and also Smithies is young so he could learn from both

Right Back: Paulo Ferreira from Chelsea (Full Transfer) - Experienced Right back, and with Chelsea having Azpilicueta and Ivanovic in them positions, he could be good for us

Center Back: Danny Wilson from Liverpool (Loan)/Upson (Full Transfer) - Either one would be good imo, Upson has proved how good he can still be and with already being in the side this season, he would know how to slot in straight away, Wilson has not really been given a chance at Liverpool so coming here could do him the world of good

Left Back: Alexander Buttner from Manchester United (On Loan)/Bridge from Manchester City (Full Transfer) - Buttner could be a great move for everyone, he has great pace which will benefit us/Bridge, same as Upson tbh, can still do it and reckon he will be in the Prem next season even if we aint

Attacking Midfielders: Raheem Sterling from Liverpool (On Loan)/ Andriy Arshavin from Arsenal(Full Transfer)/Marko Marin from Chelsea(On Loan) - We all know how quick Sterling is, just imagine him down the wings for us plus with BR seem to be in favor of Downing/Sturridge/Coutinho it could give him some valuable First team experience/ Arshavin is a long shot but with Wenger saying he is off in the Summer, maybe he could do a job here, always remember his 4 goals against Liverpool so i think he could still do a job/Marin has struggled so far in England but a season with us would do him great imo

Strikers: Bobby Zamora from QPR (Full Transfer)/John Guidetti from Manchester City (On Loan) - I thought i would add Zamora in as i guess everyone here would like him here next season if we go up :p/Guidetti has done great when he was in Holland(I think?) on loan but not really been given a chance in the Prem so far so it could be a good appointment

I know this is a long ass post but from the subject i felt like letting my views known haha

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011
We need a box to box midfielder - some one like Pogba - strong and can defend/pass

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Roberto Soldado (Valencia)

Now then, how happy are you all that I'm not involved in player recruitment? :thumbsup:

Nobby Solano had me spitting my tea out!!!.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
If's, buts and maybe's.

Currently with suspensions and injuries we are down to bare bones so need a much bigger squad and more competition for places.

At the very least need another left back, a box to box midfielder and another striker.

The big question is how much do you want to spend with no guarentee of staying in the division just look at QPR.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
If we do reach the promised land the best thing for me is gonna be next years PANINI STICKERS ALBUM can't wait, and can't wait to get the SILVER seagull badge

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I think we'd need two center backs, two center mids and a wide man for the starting line up. Back up Keeper and a striker too I reckon.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
If we do reach the promised land the best thing for me is gonna be next years PANINI STICKERS ALBUM can't wait, and can't wait to get the SILVER seagull badge

My god,I'd not thought of that. Now I have a real reason for wanting promotion.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
We need a box to box midfielder - some one like Pogba - strong and can defend/pass

I must have read that over 100 times on NSC this season.

Poyet doesn't play with a box-to-box midfielder. If he does decide he is going to set the team up with a box to box midfielder then we have a very good one already in Crofts.

Wasting money on a box to box midfielder would be pointless as Gus doesn't tactically allow it.

finlaych

Apr 16, 2011
Brighton, United Kingdom
Two centre backs, one young one with experience. (Van Dijk and Lescott in an ideal realistic world)

A left back (two if bridge leaves) (Bridge and Friend from Middlesborough in an ideal realistic world)

A central midfielder to replace Hammond (Liam Trotter/Nathan Chalobah in an ideal realistic world)

A winger to compete with KLL and Buckley (Bennett in an ideal realistic world)

Two strikers who bring something different (Piti the Spanish player and Alex Esswien from the Bundesliga in a realistic ideal world)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Seeing Lescott's name above, and the involuntary groan I let out has me wondering:-

Would you like the side strengthened from inside or outside of the Premier League?

Obviously it's very wrong to tarnish all current EPL 'stars' with the same overpaid/under performing brush.
But to be honest I'd rather Gus & Tony went shopping abroad.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Two centre backs, one young one with experience. (Van Dijk and Lescott in an ideal realistic world)

A central midfielder to replace Hammond (Liam Trotter/Nathan Chalobah in an ideal realistic world)

Can you just clarify your definition of the word 'realistic' for me? :lolol:

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
I'm a QPR supporter.

Believe me, you don't want/need Zamora back.

He's shot.
I assume he'll be sent for his hip op once relegation is confirmed and isn't that supposed to keep him out for 6-8 months? To be fair, after his tackle in the Wigan game I don't think his hip is as bad as he'd have us believe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here