Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Upgraded from Hotmail to Outlook - Beware this unwanted feature!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Morning
Had the automatic update from Hotmail to Outlook forced on me t'other week. Had to reply to an email from my accountant yesterday and noticed to my horror after I'd sent it that it had decided to attach my Facebook photo to the mail, yup, me in a giant St Patricks Day hat waving aloft a pint of Guinness at the Amex. Hm. Damn fine photo for sure, but not exactly one I'd want to be sending to my accountant. Cheers for that Outlook and/or Facebook :angry:

Just about to wade through the instructions to disable this crappy feature. Instructions are HERE:

Facebook profile pictures being used by Outlook. How to disable - Microsoft Community

And yes it is a cool story bro.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
No!!!! Leave it there.....

Even accountants need a little fun in their lives.

Last edited:

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham
With the amount of attempts at hacking hotmail got, especially in comparison to Yahoo and gmail, there's no way I'm linking my FB to outlook.com.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
With the amount of attempts at hacking hotmail got, especially in comparison to Yahoo and gmail, there's no way I'm linking my FB to outlook.com.

Well there's no way I would have done either, given any kind of choice in the matter. I've tried switching every available option off (and not switching them on again) and it does no good. Facebook photo still attaches itself to my emails. Will doubtless end up having to close my Hotmail/outlook account. Why can't these muppets realise that not everybody is about twelve years old and wants to have their Facebook account linked to every damn thing?

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
I wasn't impressed either when I noticed they'd done that. I followed the instructions to 'unlink' them (seem to remember its something you have to tick/untick in the hot mail account settings) but it worked. Think they say it takes a few hours before it takes effect.

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
I just hope you've correctly acknowledged proper copyright on the photo in all this :ohmy:

some system analyst somewhere needs kicking for not ensuring that it could be disabled for a more professional appearance where necessary aye.

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
My Mrs' hotmail picked up a photo used on my facebook account. Different name, we think she may have used my laptop for her hotmail account once. The photo stayed until I closed the facebook account.

Rubbish.

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham
It looks like its guessing rather than being linked. More stuff than u think is publicly available unless u make the time to shut it all down.

I expect u can manually nominate a photo to over ride it etc.
I'm still in borough but I'll have a look tomorrow as Captaininbox on twitter :eek:

Last edited:

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham
It looks like it;s not you sending your details but instead Outlook.com seems to wants to scour the web for info about you sowhen a recipient opens an email from you outlook.com give them more info.

In the 3rd party networks bit of the settings (inbox > options > content from third-party networks)
in the middle there is a twitter and a facebook bit.
click each one and it will walk you through how to stop other apps finding you.

eg: if your hotmail/outlook.com address or any other address you have hooked up to that email account is in your facebook and twitter account, microsoft will be able to find you using your email address unless you tell it not to.

back to the 3rd party content page and, you can turn them off for your friends and attach or detach any networks you have deliberately plugged in.

The main thing is to do your homework and lock facebook and twitter down.
It can take about an hour and will have to be done every time Facebook changes their privacy policy,

this is because the big Zuck seems to think it's cook to push the boundaries of privacy and reset them every time they make a change - there does not seem to be any consequence to them for that, only us.

CNET UK is a great spot for finding out how to do stuff,
eg: How to Lockdown Your Facebook Account For Maximum Privacy and Security

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
This is why I gave up my hotmail after near 20 years use. Business emails don't even use the linked business FB page but my face. I do not want the business logo as my personal profile as that would be very sad

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham
Outlook.com will be cooler soon.
in the same way as you are forced to have a Gmail address for Android and your Google account is the central point of Google apps etc.
Windows8 for touch and mobile will need a central point for office365 and your mobile app account etc.
Windows phones are extremely good, the windows8 mobile UI is very popular, over time they will be big.

I'm still on my old Sam sgs2, but i've rooted it so i've got Jellybean on it now, I'm in no rush to move but I'll defo get my mum a windows phone!

Also I think MS should buy RIM (Blackberry) to end their pain and everyone else's.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It looks like it;s not you sending your details but instead Outlook.com seems to wants to scour the web for info about you sowhen a recipient opens an email from you outlook.com give them more info.

In the 3rd party networks bit of the settings (inbox > options > content from third-party networks)
in the middle there is a twitter and a facebook bit.
click each one and it will walk you through how to stop other apps finding you.

eg: if your hotmail/outlook.com address or any other address you have hooked up to that email account is in your facebook and twitter account, microsoft will be able to find you using your email address unless you tell it not to.

back to the 3rd party content page and, you can turn them off for your friends and attach or detach any networks you have deliberately plugged in.

The main thing is to do your homework and lock facebook and twitter down.
It can take about an hour and will have to be done every time Facebook changes their privacy policy,

this is because the big Zuck seems to think it's cook to push the boundaries of privacy and reset them every time they make a change - there does not seem to be any consequence to them for that, only us.

CNET UK is a great spot for finding out how to do stuff,
eg: How to Lockdown Your Facebook Account For Maximum Privacy and Security

Big cheers for that! :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here