Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Police arrogance? Do they serve us or do we serve them?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's just the Rozzers personal tribute to Mrs T, it's a chance to wade in and beat people while on overtime without real fear of legal retribution. Ref. the death of Ian Tomlinson.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I'll use your quote from another thread updated-

"I agree with this. The funeral really doesn't need these goons. People have a right to go to funerals and not be intimidated by these idiots. The only solution is to ban anti-Thatcherite supporters from funerals."

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I am finding this celebrating her death business a bit, not sure of the word, but cowardly I guess. Perhaps they thought they they would get zapped by her laser eyes if they did it when she was alive?

We know that people didn't like her and have blamed her for everything since 1979, but it would serve them better to stay at home.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'll use your quote from another thread updated-

"I agree with this. The funeral really doesn't need these goons. People have a right to go to funerals and not be intimidated by these idiots. The only solution is to ban anti-Thatcherite supporters from funerals."

:Smile:

By all means nick people if they are intimidating, threatening or violent but turning your back of a hearse or booing is very different. The plod are there to ensure public order, not to judge manners.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
If they are that bothered perhaps she shouldn't have been given a state funeral.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am finding this celebrating her death business a bit, not sure of the word, but cowardly I guess. Perhaps they thought they they would get zapped by her laser eyes if they did it when she was alive?

We know that people didn't like her and have blamed her for everything since 1979, but it would serve them better to stay at home.

I disagree. As a free and democratic nation we should be able to show our distaste with certain individuals. I feel very uncomfortable with the police making judgement calls on what is and what is not acceptable manners.

genre b. good

Oct 22, 2012

If they celebrated her death when she was alive ??? ?

There were celebrations when she left power, there were plenty of protests when she was in power and there has been consistent chanting at football about her as well - what more do you want? what would be less cowardly?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
If they are that bothered perhaps she shouldn't have been given a state funeral.

Just because you live in Australia it doesn't give you an excuse to know nothing.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
I disagree. As a free and democratic nation we should be able to show our distaste with certain individuals. I feel very uncomfortable with the police making judgement calls on what is and what is not acceptable manners.

I agree on the first bit. Indeed Maggie went a long way to ensure that the people who want to celebrate her death have every right to do so.

The police will be there to ensure that those wishing to attend the funeral and pay their respects can do so without being intimidated or threatened. I am sure the same will happen if the pro-fox hunting lobby decide to celebrate Blair's death :)

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
If they celebrated her death when she was alive ??? ?

There were celebrations when she left power, there were plenty of protests when she was in power and there has been consistent chanting at football about her as well - what more do you want? what would be less cowardly?

What I would like is if the people who are their to "celebrate" did so without disrupting the funeral and did so whilst not wearing balaclava's and scarves over their faces. Whilst you are going to tell me that this has not happened yet, I am pretty certain that it will.

What they should really be protesting against is why no government since she left office 23 years ago, has reversed her policies, which is what should have happened if they were so wrong.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
What I would like is if the people who are their to "celebrate" did so without disrupting the funeral and did so whilst not wearing balaclava's and scarves over their faces. Whilst you are going to tell me that this has not happened yet, I am pretty certain that it will.

What they should really be protesting against is why no government since she left office 23 years ago, has reversed her policies, which is what should have happened if they were so wrong.

Yup dead or alive she is still with us. That is why I see no point in celebrating. The governments we have had since are far worse than she ever was. She just started the whole idology which as far as i can see we haven't really moved away from.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Yup dead or alive she is still with us. That is why I see no point in celebrating. The governments we have had since are far worse than she ever was. She just started the whole idology which as far as i can see we haven't really moved away from.

Yep.
Over 23 years ago that she was voted out. I looked at many of the people that had gathered around Trafalgar Square last night, many were not even born when Thatcher had been long gone as a PM.
If people want to celebrate her death, it is up to them, i personally feel that a costly state funeral is not a good idea, a more private funeral with people who want to be there would be best.
Why bother trying to disrupt the funeral, the last week of the angry mob has shown that many hate her, and the policies that her government, not just her, implemented.
It is worth noting that although she did good and bad, some of the blame put at her doorstep is a tad over the top.
As previously pointed out, Labour stopped the free milk before the Thatcher reign.........and more pits were closed under Harold Wilson's government than Thatchers.
Thatchers sons and daughters - The Commentator
Nicholas Simpson: Thatcher and the Miners' Strike

As for the police, they are controlled by the government, and it seems to me that any demo, apart from a pro English one, is fair game, if you stick up for England, then you are targeted.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
:Smile:

By all means nick people if they are intimidating, threatening or violent but turning your back of a hearse or booing is very different. The plod are there to ensure public order, not to judge manners.
I might need to correct you, the police are there to prevent any civil disturbance or breach of the peace, booing or disrupting the funeral is going to lead to a breach of the peace for sure, so the police are entitled by law to take action to head that type of incident happening, yes?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Police in asking the public to keep the peace shock.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here