Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stadium expansion. Have we goofed up?

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
Getting ahead of myself a bit, but lets just fantasise about 5 years time from now. We are an established Premier League team, on the up with a growing support.

in he meantime fellow south coast club Southampton, have bolted on another tier onto the Ikea flat pack that is St Marys, increasing to 40k.

we on the other hand still have our wonderfully designed stadium, but suddenly find we cannot increase capacity further and meet the demand from our new JCLs. What do we do? How have we catered for this inevitable growth in support?

Last edited:

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
We drag Martin Perry out of his well-deserved retirement, point at the stadium and say "Want bigger".

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Getting ahead of myself a bit, but lets just fantasise about 5 years time from now. We are an established Premier League team, on the up with a growing support.

in he meantime fellow south coast club Southampton, have bolted on another tier onto the Ikea flat pack that is St Marys, increasing to 40k.

we on the other hand still have our wonderfully designed stadium, but suddenly find we cannot increase capacity further and meet the demand from our new JCLs. What do we do? How have we catered for this inevitable growth in support?

This is what gets me about JCLs. If you weren't you would know what you are talking about.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
We have 10,000 Premiership plastics to come yet,any clubs average will go up by 10K if they make the jump from Championship to Premier league,add the larger away support-

At the current time Brighton could get 40-45K for the big games in the top flight..

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
TB could always move the seats closer together, just like some of dumps we visit. Some fantastic old grounds we've visited this season, if they had the same spacing as the Amex would only hold 20k!

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Did we have any choice of a larger stadium?

No. 22,500 was the most we coud get, remembering the club had to fight many entities and various enemies of football.
It was just a foot in the door, but the architects and the board sneakily under the radar made it easily expandable to 30,750, getting that bit past Falmer PC et seq.

If the club did establish itself as a PL team and demand outstripped supply for tickets year after year, hopefully something could be done, but road and rail links would have to be vastly improved first.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Put money into Worthing football club, wait for them to get to a respectable level and then merge into BHWA, and build a new, giant, f**k off Stadium in the middle of the English Channel.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
You could probably get another thousand or two if you move the seats closer together. If we had the same legroom (or lack of) as Anfield or Upton Park we could fit 50,000 in there!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
A stadium of the Amex's capacity is easily viable for a successful tilt at the Premiership.

Top 25? in England.........

Personally if we made the top flight we would have to make do with a large waiting list and stay at Falmer,increase the station to 12 platforms,build out of town car parks perhaps,maybe take out Dicks bar and offices and relocate them and build a steeper North stand,but for now Falmer is adequate.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
For a long term view, I always thought 30k would be on the small side

I thought that about the original 22k but thought 30K was more than enough,but these days 30k is minimum,40K is where it's at

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
We have 10,000 Premiership plastics to come yet,any clubs average will go up by 10K if they make the jump from Championship to Premier league,add the larger away support-

At the current time Brighton could get 40-45K for the big games in the top flight..

Yep.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here