Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Soccer Saturday - Biased punditry

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Does anyone else get annoyed at these buffoons in the studio? Southampton vs West Ham being covered by Charlie Nicholas, Le Tissier sitting next to him, both practically wet themselves when Saints go one up but muted when West Ham equalise.

And any time Merson covers a match and team goes 2-0 up it's "Game over Jeff". In this case Everton on 56 mins vs Redknapp's QPR.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
It's their USP though, isn't it? The blokey, jokey, nineteenth hole presentation style, as opposed to the BBC's more formal efforts.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Jeff Stelling is good and I can play soldiers with my son whilst keeping an eye on the scores. Paul Walsh, Tony Cottee are good but Nicholas, Merson and Le Tissier are idiots while Thompson's only interested in Liverpool.

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
Jeff Stelling is good and I can play soldiers with my son whilst keeping an eye on the scores. Paul Walsh, Tony Cottee are good but Nicholas, Merson and Le Tissier are idiots while Thompson's only interested in Liverpool.

Completely disagree. Le Tiss and Merson are the best 2. Nicholas is ok and Thompson is a bore.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I like the guys in the studio. Their bias is not denied and so I don't see a problem with it, I'm much more offended by those ex-palace players reporting on brighton games as if they're neutral when they are patently not.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I remember the early days when they didn't show bias to their clubs and it was less interesting and inclusive. We're all football fans, we all have bias to our teams and rightly so. I wouldn't want the studio to be sterile and passionless. Like Shearer on MOTD.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Charlie Nicholas, looking at the bloke makes me laugh. How do you take anyone over the age of 50 seriously, that wears a diamond earring?

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Use to be better with Best, Marsh , McClintock etc but still better now than the BBC rubbish

It was more risqué.

A bunch of drinkers, gamblers, and an envelope of cash notes collector.

Always on the edge of someone saying a non-pc comment.

The modern day equivalent, Merson, in contrast is just dim and very boring.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Charlie Nicholas, looking at the bloke makes me laugh. How do you take anyone over the age of 50 seriously, that wears a diamond earring?

Agreed. Prima Donna then and now.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here