Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Inflated attendances. This time United.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
how are the police counting? i ask because i cant understand the motivation for the clubs to over report. and i dont accept the reason that thousands of people are buying expensive tickets to then not turn up (or sell on). 10000 people every game flush to buy a ticket and not go? doesnt sound right does it.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
The club say it will be 'confusing' for us fans to see both figures. I know some on NSC would struggle initially, but reckon they're fudging.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Manchester United declare attendances far higher than police figures

Interesting article about United's reported attendances compared with the true figure from the police. I know we report ticket sales, as opposed the true attendance at the Albion & I'd rather see the true attendance at all grounds.

How many fans saw the game not how many season ticket holders & day trippers have we got.

I have a ST and have probably only attended 50% games due to non 3pm sat KOs (grrrr). I guess I get counted but the reason I basically have to buy a ST is because without one, in the modern age, I can't sit with friends. In which case I'd probably not go. That's why the club is so anti-standing. Clubs would lose revenue.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
how are the police counting? i ask because i cant understand the motivation for the clubs to over report. and i dont accept the reason that thousands of people are buying expensive tickets to then not turn up (or sell on). 10000 people every game flush to buy a ticket and not go? doesnt sound right does it.

Marketing. When doing pitches for sponsors how many would prefer 24k ave compared to 26.5k?

NONE.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

The police won't be 'counting' - they'll have access to the official turnstile counts from the clubs for a number of reasons.

Anyone wanting the Albion's real attendances should now just put a FOI request into Susse xpolice.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
i dont accept the reason that thousands of people are buying expensive tickets to then not turn up (or sell on). 10000 people every game flush to buy a ticket and not go? doesnt sound right does it.

There are a lot of Man U supporters that don't live in Manchester, ( bet you didn't know that :lol:) so they don't automatically go to every game.
I got a cousin who is a season ticket holder both at the Amex and Liverpool so cant go to both games when playing the same day and know of several people who have duel ST,Brighton/ Fulham Brighton/Reading etc.

Even our own ST holders who travel cant make all game for various reason, in fact there was a thread on here yesterday saying due to work commitments he has only been able to get to a few matches and even my dad has two seats but to my knowledge only ever used one this year.
Also you have family's that will have 3,4 or 5 together but rarely they will all go at the same time.
This is why you will never get a completely full stadium.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
There must e a good enough reason so many top flight football clubs in Europe to do it. BVB publish average attendance pretty much on the button of their capacity (80,500), likewise Bayern (60,000) Schalke (61,000). BHA have sort of explained the reason, its not a good enough reason IMO, but it's a reason, and it's consistent throughout the EPL and Championship, some of L1 & L2, as well as most leagues accross Europe.
:shrug:

As part of the transport management arrangements, the Albion not only measure the actual numbers going through the turnstiles, they measure the times at which these movements occur. If anyone does make a FoI request, it might be worth wording it along the lines of:- for each match played at the Amex, how many spectators passed through the stadium turnstiles in each of the five minute intervals between two hours before kick-off and half-time?

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
Errrr, I'm not the one starting a thread asking the question though! :D

If I deperately wanted to know, I would do so. It's only £10 to start a FOI.

I started the thread because I found the article interesting & I'd sooner clubs reported the true attendance. It's ok fella I don't need a full investigation in to the matter. Hope this is ok with you

Gangsta

Jul 6, 2003
Withdean
Didn't I read somewhere that ALL premiership clubs under that leagues rules have to report attendances as per tickets/STs sold, again for marketing purposes. This does make good financial sense. Funny how things change, in the good old days clubs would underreport to not pay tax on what were mainly cash sales, now marketing revenue is so important the opposite is true.

mattpenfold

Sep 17, 2011
There is no cost for making an FOI request normally, although the law allows for the refusal of a request if it would cost the public body to much to process. In such cases they can suggest the person making the request make a contribution to the cost. The £10 quoted above is for data protection act requests, which is different legislation.

There is no cost for making an FOI request normally, although the law allows for the refusal of a request if it would cost the public body to much to process. In such cases they can suggest the person making the request make a contribution to the cost. The £10 quoted above is for data protection act requests, which is different legislation.

There's always the possibility that a public body might turn down the request for information on the grounds that the information relates to the business affairs of a private organisation and it is commercially sensitive.

Just because Sussex Police are provided with information doesn't mean it isn't confidential.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here