Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Turned down at the gate

finlaych

Apr 16, 2011
Brighton, United Kingdom
Have you or anyone you know ever been turned down at the gate for having a wrong ticket?

Me and mates are the age (16) where sometimes we are just over the age barrier. When the adult tickets are so much more than the under 16 it's a difficult decision to lie and risk being turned down or pay the premium prices, I personally don't worry too much about it but others have more doubts.

The games coming up we're making decisions for are fa cup semi final tomorrow, £10 cheaper for u16s but I'm thinking they're machines at wembley although we'd have to collect them. Also Leeds is over double as much for an adult. (Please take into consideration I only make £15 a week)

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
I'm 16, and I'm relatively lucky, I never get asked on trains. Not even been asked our age at games, on trains my friends have been asked to show i.d.

Last edited:

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I'm 16, and I'm relatively lucky, I never get asked on trains. Not even been asked our age at games, on trains we've been asked to show i.d.

You have or you haven't?

Tomnorthi

Jan 2, 2010
BN15
I got asked for ID at Sheffield Wednesday.
I said I dont have any "well when buying the concession ticket you really should carry some, remember for next time"

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
my lad just turned 16 going to watch orient tom with his mates,five pounds if booked in advance(which i did),or 16pounds on the day,bloody madness

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
How can they ask for ID? How many 17 year olds carry around ID that proves they're not 18, etc?

Exactly what they don't seem to understand. Who at 16 has ID? Can't get a provisional? Can't see many being trusted with a passport at the football!

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Have you or anyone you know ever been turned down at the gate for having a wrong ticket?

Me and mates are the age (16) where sometimes we are just over the age barrier. When the adult tickets are so much more than the under 16 it's a difficult decision to lie and risk being turned down or pay the premium prices, I personally don't worry too much about it but others have more doubts.

The games coming up we're making decisions for are fa cup semi final tomorrow, £10 cheaper for u16s but I'm thinking they're machines at wembley although we'd have to collect them. Also Leeds is over double as much for an adult. (Please take into consideration I only make £15 a week)

I got done at Brighton station a couple of years ago for trying to get away with an u16 ticket, was the one bloody night where they were doing checks to catch people out by disabling the barriers for child tickets and thereby forcing you to show them to the guy on the gate. £20 odd fine on the spot for my troubles. The gap between an adult and a u16 ticket is extortionate though.

I would recommend getting a 16-25 Railcard. Fares are considerably cheaper with it, for example Haywards Heath to Brighton at peak time goes from about £6 on an adult fare to something like £2.50 on the railcard. Well worth looking into.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I got done at Brighton station a couple of years ago for trying to get away with an u16 ticket, was the one bloody night where they were doing checks to catch people out by disabling the barriers for child tickets and thereby forcing you to show them to the guy on the gate. £20 odd fine on the spot for my troubles. The gap between an adult and a u16 ticket is extortionate though.

I would recommend getting a 16-25 Railcard. Fares are considerably cheaper with it, for example Haywards Heath to Brighton at peak time goes from about £6 on an adult fare to something like £2.50 on the railcard. Well worth looking into.

Got one of these a while back. It was about £60 for 3 years. 33% off all rail fares, made my money back within a couple of months.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here