Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Questions for Fred Binney

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
fredbinney.jpg

Through doing The Goldstone Wrap blog, I've been contacted by Fred Binney's son Adam over the past week. As many of you know, Fred was the Brighton team's goal poacher supreme in the mid-1970s, hitting 23 League goals in 1975/76 (all but five at the Goldstone) before losing his place to the Ward-Mellor partnership the following season.

Adam says his dad is "retired now and spends as much time on his narrow boat with my mum as possible. He's invited to go back to Brighton to walk the pitch every year and loves it when he has the time to get there. Apart from that he stopped coaching Plymouth Uni this season, But I suspect he misses it."

His son also adds "he is not really interested in being lauded and doesn't look for any kind of adoration. He doesn't really like the attention, but he does love Brighton & Hove Albion and remembers his time there fondly."

I asked if Fred was willing to do an interview with questions from Albion fans, and he was. So, if anyone has any questions for Fred, or thoughts on him as a player, please add them here....

Thanks!

Last edited:

Titus

Come on!
Feb 21, 2010
Up here on the left.
Well I was distraught when they brought in that young whippersnapper Peter Ward to take your place. Nobody could score from 6 inches like you. No question but lots of thanks.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Did you have to buy your own boots?
Was there any personal sponsorship?
Were agents used then?
Toughest opponent?
Highlight of career?

Thanks for all you did for us.

D

Deleted member 2719

He was one of my very first Albion hero's as a youngster.

How would he describe himself as a player?
Who had the bushiest tache in the squad?
Did anyone ever drop the soap in the bath, if so did they retrieve it?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Definitely my first Albion hero too.

Did he resent Peter Ward's arrival?
What did he do when he left the Albion?
Was he there when Clough was (can't remember as Clough left just before my first game and Peter Taylor was manager) if so what was he like to work with?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Fred was our star striker when I first started watching the Albion. I always remember the way he could turn on a sixpence in the 6 yard box and put it 15 yards over the crossbar. But he still scored a fair few, and he will always be a Brighton hero. My very best wishes and gratitude Fred, if you are out there.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
He was the original Mr right place at the right time.

When Ward arrived, did he immediately know his place was under threat?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
He probably won't remember this,but I certainly do

March 1976 Shrewsbury at the Goldstone

Night match,losing 2-0 at half time

Last minute of the game,we have a penalty at the south stand end (I was right behind the goal)

Fred Binney with his back to the goal,waits for the ref to blow the whistle

turns round and buries it in the corner for 2-2

and of course playing with the bandage round his head for the Hereford game

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
A true Albion legend - did Fred ever score a goal from outside the penalty area? (I can't remember one).

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Fred, would you consider coming to the REMF game next season, so I can buy you a beer?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
How did Fred Binney get home (when the coach left without him) after the defeat at the Old Den. I think we lost 3-0 and Millwall went up.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
He was, very much, a goal poacher and that's why so many of his goals were at The Goldstone where we put teams under enourmous pressure. if you think of this season and the way we've pummelled teams but just needed that touch in the box, well Fred was your man. he had the skill to find the space and the confidence & calmness to score.

He had been prolific with Exeter before joining us (think we gave them Templeman & Lammie Robertson) & i think we went back west on leaving us. Hope he can make it to the Amex one day so we can show that he's not been forgotten.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Got Freds autograph and a press photo of Graham Oates of Blackburn trying to smack Fred in the ear...my son was inspired by his favourite player.....Fred Legend.

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
I was excited by the prospect of Fred Binney joining us all those years ago. He had a reputation as a goalscorer and he proved this correct when he played for us. A good signing for us at the time.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
A photo from my second ever Albion game - just in time for tomorrow.......

Dear Fred - can you put the hoodoo over Posh so we can score another 5 ?

Attachments

• Fred Binney v2.jpg
    Fred Binney v2.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 167

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Just looked at the programme, was I really watching a future Albion goalkeeping legend concedeing all those goals...............

Attachments

• Posh '75 Line Ups.jpg
    Posh '75 Line Ups.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 134

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
The 5-0 Peterborough win was one of my first games as well (certainly the first that I can remember). I was sitting on the wooden seats above the old south stand terrace. I think that we signed Eric Steele only a few weeks later.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here