Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC: Lopez wants to stay

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22121929

David Lopez: Brighton yet to offer midfielder new contract
Brighton have yet to begin contract talks with David Lopez, although the Spaniard is keen to stay at the club.

The 30-year-old midfielder signed a one-year deal in August after being released by Athletic Bilbao.

"I've not heard anything yet so I'm just focussing on the remaining games," he told BBC Sussex.

"I don't know how the club are managing these things but it does not make a difference to me what division Brighton are in. I'm very happy here."

Lopez moved to the Amex Stadium after a decade plying his trade in La Liga with Osasuna and Bilbao.

Continue reading the main story
“When I joined I knew I would have no problem being in the squad because there would be five Spaniards here speaking my language”

David Lopez

So far, he has scored seven goals in 22 league starts and since been praised for his versatility by Brighton boss Gus Poyet.

Since being appointed in 2009, the Uruguayan has consistently recruited Spanish-speaking players, most recently Argentine striker Leonardo Ulloa, who joined the Seagulls in January.

"When I joined I knew I would have no problem being in the squad because there would be five Spaniards here speaking my language," Lopez continued.

"It has been the same for Leo and he deserves to win [after being nominated for March's Championship player of the month award] because he's already scored seven times - he's a goal machine."

With five games remaining. Brighton currently sit sixth in the Championship table, just two points ahead of play-off rivals Leicester and Bolton.

On Saturday, they travel to Middlesbrough before taking on four of the division's bottom eight sides.

"All the big games are coming now and we are all fighting for the play-off places," Lopez added.

"Quality is important but mentality really matters now and it is probably the strongest teams mentally that will get in the top six."

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
He sashays round the pitch like BRENDAN COLE, yet he looks like ANTON DU BEKE.

Please stay, Dave.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Things I like that Dave buys in Tesco: Exotic cheeses, tiger bread
Things I'm slightly disappointed Dave buys in Tesco: Cans of Carling. For a couple of quid more you could get a decent Spanish lager
Things Dave buys in Tesco which I feel are neither in good nor bad taste: Toilet roll, nappies, bottles of water

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm not surprised Dave et al must have a cracking Spanish vibe here, with all the things that playing for the Albion has to offer.

Can you image the six of them settling as well as they give the impression they have, in Hull.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I love Lopez but do find him frustrating he can be very casual with his passes, as shown most prominently last week- maybe that's just his laid back Spanish way. Anyway, he's surely a great player and should be signed up whether in the Premier League or Championship.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
La la la la la Bamba

La la la la la Bamba

Oh Spanish Dave, Oh Spanish Dave, Oh Spanish Dave,

David Lopez, David Lopez, David Lopez,

La la la la la Bamba

La la la la la Bamba

David Lopez, David Lopez, David Lopez.

Sign this man up ASAP. he has been excellent for us this season.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
La la la la la Bamba

La la la la la Bamba

David Lopez, David Lopez, David Lopez,

La la la la la Bamba

La la la la la Bamba

David Lopez, David Lopez, David Lopez.

Sign this man up ASAP. he has been excellent for us this season.

That last line doesn't fit.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
i_love_dave_t_shirt-r7362da36e4ad4638b0aa6f858455a336_804gs_216.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills