Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goal-line technology,good or bad ?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Hawkeye or a version is set to become the 'Norm' in the Premier next season,however is this just not opening a 'can of worm's' ? Why the Prem what about any other club whether Pro or Sunday League ? What next Hawkeye for offside ? How about Penalties the list goes on. It's old hat 'but you give what you see' :thumbsup:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22107409

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Good for me. People's livelihoods aren't going to be affected by a dodgy decision on a Sunday league game. Club tennis seems alive and well without hawk eye.

I would rather the correct decision was made and realistically how many times a season are we going to see it used in Albion games? Once a season? Hardly going to disrupt things is it.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Good for me. People's livelihoods aren't going to be affected by a dodgy decision on a Sunday league game. Club tennis seems alive and well without hawk eye.

I would rather the correct decision was made and realistically how many times a season are we going to see it used in Albion games? Once a season? Hardly going to disrupt things is it.

Agree with this. There are plenty of things the professional game has that amateurs don't. Quality pitches to play on for one.

As for the Hawkeye system, heard on Radio 5 they were talking about big screen replays like in cricket but having had a look at the Hawkeye website am please to see that this is not the case. The referee gets an audible warning that the ball has crossed the line. On that basis I don't see this as the thin end of the wedge and fouls and offsides will still be down to human perception.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Waste of time & money, how many times a season does a team get cheated out of a goal that crosses the line, if it does happen it's swings & roundabouts really Look at 1966 we got the decision and won the world cup and in the last world cup with Lampard we didn't, that's 2 goal line game decisions following England in 44 years
I can't even remember a time when I've felt cheated over a Brighton goal that went over the line and wasn't allowed

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

Absolutely this.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I'm not a fan. With HawkEye it'll be too easy to have it for other decisions and that will stop the flow of the game. Personally I think one of the great things about football is the debate it brings.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It shouldn't be needed, but we all know it is.

When the 'obvious' decisions are screwed the authorities have no choice.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
On Balance bad.

Such technology has been used very successfully in games that stop and start. I suspect we've opened the door for decisions to be questioned by players.

I worry this will adversely affect football.

I would have been more comfortable with more officials.

Nothing wrong with this technology in isolation, just what it will lead to.

Barn Door Billy

Feb 19, 2012
Somewhere near Reading...
Im not saying it's a bad thing but footballs been around for a hundred years and it's been a great game without it
Modern life is Rubbish
jumpers for goalposts and all that

I see what your saying, and I do agree that the referees decision and interpretation of the game is a part of football, but I think that in the case of goal line technology, there is only one correct decision (I.e. The ball was either in or was not), there is no grey area. I feel that the incidences when a goal line decision is given incorrectly is purely unfair and diminishes the game rather than adding the excitement that a slightly controversial penalty/freekick might create.

Barn Door Billy

Feb 19, 2012
Somewhere near Reading...
On Balance bad.

Such technology has been used very successfully in games that stop and start. I suspect we've opened the door for decisions to be questioned by players.

I worry this will adversely affect football.

I would have been more comfortable with more officials.

Nothing wrong with this technology in isolation, just what it will lead to.

If we want to go for some sort of technology, I think we should look at the system they have in hockey, where each team gets one video referal per match. If they use it correctly (and the decesion is overturned), they keep the referal. If the umpire is shown to have been correct, they loose their referal (an so can't question further decesion s during the match). This would stop the games being stop start an having players question every single decision.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
Awful idea it's the beginning of the end of football as we know it, I can see captains running up asking the ref for a time out to review an incident then on the big screen GOAL followed by a little jazzy tune cheerleaders waving pom Pom's while the tv cuts away for a brief message from the Sponcers

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Awful idea it's the beginning of the end of football as we know it, I can see captains running up asking the ref for a time out to review an incident then on the big screen GOAL followed by a little jazzy tune cheerleaders waving pom Pom's while the tv cuts away for a brief message from the Sponcers

You could see a tinpot club like Palace having it up on a big screen like at the cricket 20/20 out or not out, so it would be goal or no goal with the nigels going Woooooooaaaaaahhhhhh until the decision comes up the screen

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
All those complaining, are you aware that this is not a video referral system!

As I understand it the system tells the ref when the ball has crossed the line whether it is controversial or if it rips out the net! No delay and no referral.

From the Hawkeye website.

GOAL ALERT
Control software combines the information from all cameras
and is able to track the ball within the goal area. As soon as
the system detects that the ball has crossed the goal line, it
instantaneously sends a signal to the official’s watch. The
watch has been developed exclusively for Hawk-Eye by
industry leaders Adeunis. It is technically possible to also
provide a “near miss” signal to the watches so the referee
also receives a positive confirmation that the ball did not
cross the line in a close incident.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Good. And I hope it's the thin end of the wedge, too many important games ruined by bad decisions.

Oct 25, 2003
Hawkeye or a version is set to become the 'Norm' in the Premier next season,however is this just not opening a 'can of worm's' ? Why the Prem what about any other club whether Pro or Sunday League ? What next Hawkeye for offside ? How about Penalties the list goes on. It's old hat 'but you give what you see' :thumbsup:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22107409

amateur rugby, cricket and tennis players don't use video replays do they....why should it happen in football

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here