Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The official Brighton Marathon 2013 thread

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Lots of different marathon threads going around at the moment, so I thought it would be worthwhile having a central thread. Runners: feel free to post your sponsorship pleas, photographs of horrific blisters/nipple rash, hoped-for and actual times, last minute panics, nightmares with collecting your race packs and so on. Will also be interesting to see how many NSCers are doing it.

Weather looks bright & sunny for Sunday, though possibly a little warmer than the expert runners might have chosen. So long as it's not blowing a gale, I'm happy with that.

Any non-running NSCers coming to watch? Or just to rub it in by sitting outside a pub en route with a beer?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I would like to confirm now that I will absolutely -NOT- be running in Brighton Marathon I will however be cheering you fit lads and lasses on from the sidelines.

Good luck to all and remember the vaseline.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I would like to confirm now that I will absolutely -NOT- be running in Brighton Marathon I will however be cheering you fit lads and lasses on from the sidelines.

Good luck to all and remember the vaseline.

I've been told to put it on my FEET? :ohmy:

It doesn't sound that comfortable and I've never done it before, so am somewhat reluctant to start trying new things on the day, but apparently it works wonders in preventing blisters. And I got a fairly epic one last time.

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
I am running it, and nerves are really kicking in now. Here's my donation page:

Craig Peters is fundraising for Dementia UK

I haven't even done a half-marathon so I'm not really sure what I've let myself in for. I have spent over £600 on physio treatments and osteopath appointments so I think when I cross the line it's just going to be the biggest sense of relief I've ever felt. In fact my osteopath told me to stop training a month ago as my injuries (mainly shin splints) were just flaring up so much so I've been tapering down since then. What hasn't helped is I went down with sinusitis last week and it has wiped me out - two weeks' worth of antibiotics and two months' worth of steroid nose drops.

One thing I've also been struggling with is a numbness in my left-leg. You could set your watch by it - 45mins into a run and I get pins and needles right down my left leg and it goes so heavy. Anyone else experienced anything like this? I don't have my shoes too tight so can rule that out.

Anyway, good luck to everyone involved. I'll be the one crumpled into the foetal positition sobbing like a little girl at the end.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I'll be there in Ovingdean, and then again at the finish. My hat goes off to you, without a bike I'm useless.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
Mrs Blue2 and I will working on one of the drinks stations did it last fantastic fun

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
How will I notice you as I run past...?

He WILL be the one WITH a big SIGN urging runners to SMAHS it all the way to the FINNISH :wave:

On a serious note, the support and enthusiasm of the crowd really does make a difference (well, it does to slow plodders like me, perhaps less so to the inevitable Kenyan winner), so the more people who come down to watch and cheer, the better :thumbsup:

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I am running it, and nerves are really kicking in now. Here's my donation page:

Craig Peters is fundraising for Dementia UK

I haven't even done a half-marathon so I'm not really sure what I've let myself in for. I have spent over £600 on physio treatments and osteopath appointments so I think when I cross the line it's just going to be the biggest sense of relief I've ever felt. In fact my osteopath told me to stop training a month ago as my injuries (mainly shin splints) were just flaring up so much so I've been tapering down since then. What hasn't helped is I went down with sinusitis last week and it has wiped me out - two weeks' worth of antibiotics and two months' worth of steroid nose drops.

One thing I've also been struggling with is a numbness in my left-leg. You could set your watch by it - 45mins into a run and I get pins and needles right down my left leg and it goes so heavy. Anyone else experienced anything like this? I don't have my shoes too tight so can rule that out.

Anyway, good luck to everyone involved. I'll be the one crumpled into the foetal positition sobbing like a little girl at the end.

Don't know about the pins & needles (I get the same in one foot, no matter how loose my trainers), but I promise you you won't be sobbing at the end, you'll be bloody over the moon and delighted by the prospect of a cold pint :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here