Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If it was still 2 points for a win.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I know its over 30 years since the change to 3 points for a win and we've all forgotten the old system but I thought I'd just do the exercise, as we have had so many draws this season.....so...
Cardiff p 41 pts 56
Hull p 41 pts 51
Watfd p 41 pts 50
Palace p 41 pts 48
BHA p 41 pts 47
Forest p 41 pts 47
Bolton p 41 pts 44
Leics p 41 pts 43
Midds p 41 pts 38
Five games to go and we would still be in the hunt for automatic. In fact five clubs would still be chasing 2nd spot.
It just goes to show how much more important the draw was pre 1981 and now, how winning is everything. At present we are 12 points off second ( 4 wins ) but under the old system we would only be 4 points away ( 2 wins )
We all know we have had too many draws ( 2nd highest in all four divisions ) and this is what has held us back.
All irrelevant, I know. Just wanted to satisfy my curiosity.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 8, 2005
Interesting, I was thinking this the other day. Our ability to stay unbeaten would have been more useful then than now!

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
so what if an away win was worth 4 points, stop teams being boring and playing for the draw away from home....

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Just remembered that Forest went 42 games unbeaten in the late 70's. Which was 21 wins and 21 draws.
Much more valuable then than now.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
so what if an away win was worth 4 points, stop teams being boring and playing for the draw away from home....

Then it would look like this....
Cardiff 90
Hull 84
Watford 82
Palace 72
Forest 69
BHA 68
Leics 65
Bolton 63
Midds 60
Same positions but a larger points gap between top 3 and the rest.

Smith DID score

formerly Harvey's Best
Apr 25, 2009
Worthing
Really thought provoking thread this, has made me wonder what a championship table would look like if it was three points for a win and NOTHING for a draw?

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I think if you made it no points for a draw then you'd see some endings like the chapions league. everyone fighting to the death. One thing that is clear though is that we would wouldn't have drawn so many. Some would have been lost and some won.

Smith DID score

formerly Harvey's Best
Apr 25, 2009
Worthing
I think if you made it no points for a draw then you'd see some endings like the chapions league. everyone fighting to the death. One thing that is clear though is that we would wouldn't have drawn so many. Some would have been lost and some won.

Yes we wouldn't have drawn so many, it would be like watching Bara Post Messi last night rather than all the tippy tappy crap before.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Really thought provoking thread this, has made me wonder what a championship table would look like if it was three points for a win and NOTHING for a draw?

OK...last one...here goes...
Cardiff 72
Hull 69
Watford 63
Palace 54
Leics 51
Midds 51
Forest 48
Bolton 48
BHA 45
( Ouch! )

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
In 1978/79, under the three-points-for-a-win system, we would have finished top of the second division (Championship), Sunderland second and Palace third. The actual final placings (with two points for a win) were Palace first, Albion second and Sunderland third. There were no play-offs back then, and two teams went up automatically, so Palace would not have been promoted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here