Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Martin Fitzmaurice Darts MC

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Facing the sack after telling a couple of racist gags on stage and not realising he was being filmed. Long overdue in my book in my time at SCR probably one of the nastiest people I ever met and interviewed.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
He sails very close to the wind onstage at Lakeside when BBC isn't broadcasting. I wasn't in any doubt what he really thought, and it wasn't pretty.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
It's got me thinking, what is the actual % of people in London who count the humble banana as part of their regular diet. More than half I rekon, who in their right mind doesn't like bananas :shrug:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
He got a fair few laughs from the crowd. He thought he was preaching to the converted, and sadly, to an extent he was.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I always got the impression with Fitzmaurice that given half the chance he'd let loose with the racist gags. It's a miracle it's taken this long. The guys a throwback to the 60s/70s but then the whole of the BDO is too. I wouldn't be surprised to see him retire now before he's pushed. Jim Davidson is the natural successor, or Jim Bowen.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The guys a throwback to the 60s/70s but then the whole of the BDO is too. .

Are you honestly suggesting that Martin Adams, Darryl Fitton and Tony O'Shea aren't the most enlightened of men? Outrageous. I'm sure all three of them do all of the cooking at home while their 'little ladies' take it easy with a glass of pink fizz. I'm sure the Lakeside experience is all very nice, but to me it always seems one step removed from an EDL get-together with a few Dutch blokes thrown in.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Are you honestly suggesting that Martin Adams, Darryl Fitton and Tony O'Shea aren't the most enlightened of men? Outrageous. I'm sure all three of them do all of the cooking at home while their 'little ladies' take it easy with a glass of pink fizz. I'm sure the Lakeside experience is all very nice, but to me it always seems one step removed from an EDL get-together with a few Dutch blokes thrown in.

The first time I went which was 1999, we likened it a 1,200 strong BNP meeting, the majority smoking and almost all pissed up.

Fitzmaurice actually told the London gag as we were setting up a radio interview for SCR, but the recorder wasnt switched on at that time.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Amazing to think that in the constant war of words between the two codes (and what a mismatch that is) the BDO are always slagging off the PDC and their fans. Hardly paragons of virtue themselves.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The BDO haven't got much going for them, but what they did have was a level of integrity. Until now. Fitzmaurice is the very embodiment of the fact that the BDO haven't moved with the times in any shape or form.

It's 20 years ago Sky and the PDC struck their deal. And I can honestly say that whilst Barry Hearn has done amazing things with the PDC, in that entire time I don't think the BDO - or the BBC with their coverage - have changed ANYTHING at all.

If Sky's Dave Clark had made those racist remarks on stage in a PDC event then he'd be sacked within hours, no questions asked.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I always got the impression with Fitzmaurice that given half the chance he'd let loose with the racist gags. It's a miracle it's taken this long. The guys a throwback to the 60s/70s but then the whole of the BDO is too. I wouldn't be surprised to see him retire now before he's pushed. Jim Davidson is the natural successor, or Jim Bowen.

Would have thought that the obvious choice was Rob Walker or does his BBC work get in the way?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Fitzmaurice is a great showman. He has the crowd at Lakeside eating out of the palm of his hand.

'Ladies and Gentlemen...........Are you Ready?!?'

(Cue roars from the Lakeside audience)

'LETS PLAY DARTS!!!!!!!!!'

(The roof nearly comes off due to crowd being whipped up into such a frenzy)

The BDO will be a poorer place without him.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here