Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Possibly for the oldies on here, what is you favourite Warren Zevon song?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Apart from Werewolves of London!

Very talented guy who died way too young and was never as big as his talent deserved.

Searching For A Heart is probably my current favourite

Any other NSCers like this rather eccentric musician who wrote such weird songs as Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner

Acker79

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm only aware of knowing two of his songs, and one of them is werewolves of London. The other I discovered when it was used for a short lived tv show called Justice about a law firm, where each episode would start with a crime or the aftermath of one shot to hide what really happened, then the law firm would defend the accused, the at the end they'd show e full crime and you'd find out if they were right to or not (they never really cared they were all about success). Anyhoo, the theme song to that show was 'lawyers, guns and money'.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
"Lawyers guns and money"
"Roland . . . "
"Boom boom Mancini"
"Carmelita"

I can't think of anything that he wrote that was bad
Great lyricist

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Splendid Isolation is another great song

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The French Inhaler
Desperadoes Under the Eaves
Carmelita
Hasten Down the Wind
My Rides Here

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Excitable Boy.
Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner....

Oh, and he wrote 'Poor, Poor Pitiful Me', which Linda Ronstadt broke as a hit.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Acker79

Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You Zevon fans probably have this album but if you haven't heard it it's definitely worth a listen. Some very big stars on this, showing in what high esteem he was held by his more succesful contempories and a very accomplished version of Werewolves by Adam Sandler which really surprised me

Enjoy Every Sandwich: The Songs of Warren Zevon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Currently £2 on amazon. Enjoy Every Sandwich: The Songs Of Warren Zevon: Amazon.co.uk: Music

Fungus

May 21, 2004
Truro
Seriously, it's impossible to chose, especially as I've got all the albums.

Worth reading "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead", by his ex-wife Crystal Zevon. Bit of an eye-opener, and he was often a real sh1t, but it's good background to the songs.

Fungus

May 21, 2004
Truro
Speaking as an oldie, who the hell is or was Warren Zevon? :dunce:

"Was".

At the very least, you must know "Werewolves of London"?

Not representative of most of his work, though.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
All the above are fine songs as he seemed pretty much incapable of recording a dud but just to add one song to the list I'll go for "Accidentally, Like A Martyr".

Binney on acid

Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
There were loads. His was a rare talent. Lyrically 'Mister bad example' was fantastic. 'Reconsider me' was a lovely ballad. 'Lawyers guns and money' was probably my fave. As a Jackson Browne fanatic, I used to love it when in the album notes of 5 or 6 albums he always featured "thanks always to Jackson". I used to have a live casette recording circa 1980 from the tower theatre. It was stupendous. I'd love to get a copy on CD.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
When Johnny Strikes Up The Band, Accidentally Like A Martyr ... and I do like Werewolves of London.

Died of lung cancer - failed to get it diagnosed until much too late despite some pretty obvious symptoms. Typically deadpan to the last, he said something like: "In hindsight that proved not to be a good decision." Also stood in as musical director on the David Letterman show from time to time.

Plenty of info here: Warren Zevon News - The New York Times

Fungus

May 21, 2004
Truro
Thanks buddy. Includes a track by Steve Earle. Quick look at the artist list and ordered it straight away. Must be a bargain.

David Lindley is a hero in his own right.

Fungus

May 21, 2004
Truro
Also stood in as musical director on the David Letterman show from time to time.

Letterman returned the with with additional vocals on the brilliant "Hit Somebody! (The Hockey Song)".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here