Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone got a spare £1m? - Bury FC Statement

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Statement from the boardroom reference financial problems at Gigg Lane

As you are well aware, Bury FC has been experiencing financial difficulties all season and we are currently in a transfer embargo imposed by the Football League because of our short term loan from the Professional Footballers Association.

At this moment in time the situation is now critical, we are quickly running out of money by trying short term fixes that are not working long term.

The club desperately needs £1million of external investment to secure the long-term future of the club.

Without this investment the club will cease to trade and there will be no more professional football played at Gigg Lane.

We are looking for a number of people, local businessmen or women to join a consortium and invest £100,000 each, with a guaranteed payback.

If you are interested please call the club and we will explain in detail our business plan.

We need you now because I repeat the club will close.

We have a responsibility to all of our staff, players and creditors to not allow the situation to get any worse.

This plea is serious; if you can help us and at the same time enjoy a return on your investment please contact the club.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Gemma Atkinson's home town too

I should imagine if she sold certain items of clothing on ebay

the debt would be cleared pretty quickly

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
How on earth can they guarantee a return on any investment? Surely that sort of claim could lead to strife further down the line...

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Paid for a named seat a few years ago. Not sure they ever happened ???

Brighton ones? No they did not they became apparently unreadable bricks instead. Mine has a .com web address on it and to date there has been one visitor to that address, it appears nowhere else and was set-up purely to fit on the brick (.co.uk would not fit). I have never been to see them but others say they are of very poor quality.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Is this not all very dodgy?

Why put in 100k with the club at obvious risk of administration, meaning you would lose a lot of pence in your pound ???

Why not wait to invest your money and buy the club from administration ???

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Brighton ones? No they did not they became apparently unreadable bricks instead. Mine has a .com web address on it and to date there has been one visitor to that address, it appears nowhere else and was set-up purely to fit on the brick (.co.uk would not fit). I have never been to see them but others say they are of very poor quality.
No. Bury passed the hat round before and got us all to buy named seats in an effort to save them (this was back in the days when I thought giving money to financially-stretched clubs was the right thing to do). Now they're in trouble again, only this time I hope they go bust, reform and start again. There are now plenty of examples of how this is not only 'fair', but also gives clubs a whole new lease of life. Chester (who will be back in the Conference next season) and Halifax (who may well join them) being just two of the 'recently deceased' who have bounced back in this way - some people didn't even know Halifax had died!

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
All sounds a little bit Ponzi ???

Paid for a named seat a few years ago. Not sure they ever happened ???

Me too, purchased several, wonder if they ever got round to actually putting the names on the seats?!

No. Bury passed the hat round before and got us all to buy named seats in an effort to save them (this was back in the days when I thought giving money to financially-stretched clubs was the right thing to do). Now they're in trouble again,

Another one (a couple of 'seats' actually..) here..

So to be clear; they never done the seats, instead put names on bricks (where?) and badly too..?

Well look Bury, it's been nice an all that, but laters eh. :wave:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Another one (a couple of 'seats' actually..) here..

So to be clear; they never done the seats, instead put names on bricks (where?) and badly too..?

Well look Bury, it's been nice an all that, but laters eh. :wave:

I think the brick thing is a red herring in this case.

The seats at Bury were to have names put on for those that donated. I'm not sure it was ever done.

Oct 25, 2003
No. Bury passed the hat round before and got us all to buy named seats in an effort to save them (this was back in the days when I thought giving money to financially-stretched clubs was the right thing to do). Now they're in trouble again, only this time I hope they go bust, reform and start again. There are now plenty of examples of how this is not only 'fair', but also gives clubs a whole new lease of life. Chester (who will be back in the Conference next season) and Halifax (who may well join them) being just two of the 'recently deceased' who have bounced back in this way - some people didn't even know Halifax had died!

agree completely....too many people bang on "BUT THINK OF THE FANS!!", well, there have been several cases now of clubs going out of business and starting again, but this time in the hands of fans who actually care about the club and how it is run in the long term as opposed to money men who are just looking to make a quick buck....anywhere that there is a fanbase, a phoenix club will emerge, essentially with the slate rubbed clean....yes they're at a lower level, but to real fans that shouldn't matter

halifax and chester are great examples....you could probably throw in afc wimbledon as well...also the new darlington are set to win their league in the first year of their existence after years of being a complete shambles

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex

Hang on, that's a bit harsh isn't it? It's not as though Bury have been blowing money left, right and centre like Portsmouth or the Croydon clowns used to. They're just a small club who have the misfortune to have two massive Prem clubs down the road. Nor are they asking for money from other fans this time - they're appealing to local business people.

As for Chester, I'm pretty sure a big part of their problems was being ****ed over by rapacious and incompetent owners, not spending money they didn't have.

By all means don't give them money (they're no asking you anyway) but how about cutting them some slack?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here