Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Recollection of Middlesbrough away games

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
May 1991
Very cold day, big turn out from Brighton expecting big things. Thought Play-Off chances were gone when they over-ran us and we lost 2-0…..until the Wilkins free-kick the next week.

April 1985
One of our daftest ever own goals – Graham Moseley walking backwards over the goal-line whist holding the ball.

September 1993
Warmer! Grand total of 52 Brighton fans to see the League Cup 5-0 defeat.

Let alone not having yet scored at the Riverside, we have not scored in Middlesbrough for 23 years.
Last win must have been the Danny Wilson penalty in the 80’s.

So will Saturday be ‘par for the course’ or a change of fortune?

rdigs24

Southampton seagull
Jan 21, 2012
Southampton
May 1991
Very cold day, big turn out from Brighton expecting big things. Thought Play-Off chances were gone when they over-ran us and we lost 2-0…..until the Wilkins free-kick the next week.

April 1985
One of our daftest ever own goals – Graham Moseley walking backwards over the goal-line whist holding the ball.

September 1993

Let alone not having yet scored at the Riverside, we have not scored in Middlesbrough for 23 years.

I was one of the the 52 at Ayresome park in 93. All I remember of the game is the stewards refusing to open the gate to let us sit in the covered stand behind the goal.At the time we were all getting soaked on the open terrace in the corner. I also recall the supporters coach arriving back at the Goldstone about 4am where I walked back to Lancing. Still do it again tomorrow ( I THINK)

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Remember 91, totally freezing, remember two local 15 year olds kicking us 4 big guys up the backside for 100 yards while the amused local police drove and walked 30 yards behind us waiting for us either to retaliate & then be nicked or just get kicked some more.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
May 1991

Did that one on Paddy's minibus. Horrible place Ayresome Park. The mini bus was alright though :thumbsup:

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
May 1991

April 1985

September 1993

I think that was our only win there in '85

the gate that day was 5,543

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Been to Ayesome park a few times, nothing memorable about the games, 0-0 was considered a good score as we never looked like scoring. For one game I took a seat and slept through virtually the whole game.

Looking at the positives, back in the day, when pubs closed at 2.30, pubs up there closed at 3.00 so missed the KO on my 1st visit! Town centre wasn't as grim as I expected but certainly was a place where you didn't want to be 'sussed' as a soft southerner.

Horses for courses, we never do well up there and I'm expecting out usual 1 or 2 nil defeat.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
This 1991 Me n Sis

Attachments

• 0542_BRIGHTON__HOVE_ALBION.jpeg
    0542_BRIGHTON__HOVE_ALBION.jpeg
    113.7 KB · Views: 202

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
My mum gaving me a bollocking for coming in at 8.45pm after driving back from Middlesboro in 1991 in my Ford Sierra. All the other buggers in the car fell asleep. Crap game lost 2-0.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
My main memory is the cup game in 04? when we lost in extra time. I think Jake Robinson made his debut?

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
April 85 it snowed i was at Hartlepool watching Aldershot and getting chased by friendly locals,The OB refused to let us change at Thornaby thinking we were Brighton and there were a lot of Stains on the train up from Kings x as they were at Newcastle.

NorthStandN1A

Aug 1, 2011
Hove
I was mascot for Brighton vs Middlesboro at Ayresome Park - Danny Wilson led me out and I put a cracker passed Moseley. Was the greatest day of my life as a young boy and I will always remember it.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
My main memory is the cup game in 04? when we lost in extra time. I think Jake Robinson made his debut?

Now that night was quite warm!
Football 'intelligence' at it's worst - only one turnstile open, because the stewards said "we were told less than a 100 away fans". I think we took around 400.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here