Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who was a better Prime Minister than Margaret Thatcher in your lifetime - if anyone?

This question is primarily aimed at the Thatcher haters. Who in your opinion was/is the best Prime Minister of the UK within your lifetime & why have you selected this individual?

In my 46 years on this planet, Thatcher in my opinion is the best PM that this country has had. My reasons: Her legacy still lives on & she pulled the country up from the floor to where it is now.

So who is your best PM?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
No one stands out, to be fair. This business of "The Thatcher Legacy" - credit has to go to Blair and New Labour, who kept it going for 10 years.

And what of New Labour's legacy? Banking crisis, economic meltdown and a war in Afghanistan. Thanks for that.

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
there has only been one truly "world' stature PM in this county since Churchill and as much as her 'haters' would hate to ever admit it, it was MT - love or hate her she made a difference and will be remembered good or bad - Name me one other PM in last 50 years who history will remember once they are gone?

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
correction - Brown - if only because he made the English realise after hundreds of years how beneficial it will be for us to detach England from Scotland so we don't have to keep propping that country up!

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I think Ill avoid jumping into that loeaded question. Possibly its true that weve not had it so good since the Mac.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I've only had Thatcher, Major, Blair, Brown, Cameron in my lifetime.

I'll go Blair because he liked FOOTY and I thought he was a NICE bloke.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Blair, in many respects was one of Thatcher's greatest successes. He moved the Labour Party towards the Centre (in much the same way that Ryan Giggs used to be a left winger, but plays Central midfield these days). At one point, Labour's relationship with the Unions made them appear to be so far to the left that floating voters found them un-electable. In this respect Thatcher's work to diminish the power of the Unions, in the long term, has probably benefited the Labour party.

The difference was that Blair was the first 'I'm just like you' Prime Minister - he set that particular template for 'call me Dave', whereas Thatcher was like the unwaivering Headmistress. Thatcher wasn't your friend, she was someone to be obeyed.

This doesn't answer the question, but I find it interesting nonetheless.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I wasnt alive for Atlee but he was the last obviously good PM

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
This question is primarily aimed at the Thatcher haters. Who in your opinion was/is the best Prime Minister of the UK within your lifetime & why have you selected this individual?

In my 46 years on this planet, Thatcher in my opinion is the best PM that this country has had. My reasons: Her legacy still lives on & she pulled the country up from the floor to where it is now.

So who is your best PM?

Mohammed Yasser Abdel Rahman Abdel Raouf Arafat al-Qudwa al-Husseini

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
For a time there Blair was excellent. Shame he never got a proper grip of his Chancellor and blotted his copybook with Iraq / Afghanistan.

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
For a time there Blair was excellent. Shame he never got a proper grip of his Chancellor and blotted his copybook with Iraq / Afghanistan.

yes, agree 100%, people forgot the brilliant first term, social justice, min wage, kosovo etc etc

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Blair's first term was excellent. A modest, reforming agenda - promises kept, no nasty surprises not in the manifesto, tight constraints on budgets.

Attlee was the best, though. If only the government had a bit more psephological nous, they'd have governed for a lot longer than six years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here