Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

M Thatcher good or bad for the country (age related poll)

Thatcher

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Just our of interest to see the breakdown on opinions and before anyone says it I'm not suggesting that this makes your opinions any more or less valid

Cocked up slightly option 2 should be over 40 not 50, any chance a mod could amend for me?

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
A strong leader who stood by her beliefs, unfortunately that was at the expense of the country's infrastructure. Divided opinions, divided the country. Lots of people prospered, lots of people did not. Ultimately it was thatcherism that has lead to the economical problems the country faces today. Ther is my twopennies worth.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Just our of interest to see the breakdown on opinions and before anyone says it I'm not suggesting that this makes your opinions any more or less valid

Cocked up slightly option 2 should be over 40 not 50, any chance a mod could amend for me?

You have cocked up more than that. It is the people over 50's views that are most valid. We had to suffer the unions' crap before she came to power. Question 1 is the one that is wrong, as you need to be over 50 to truely judge her.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Over 40, under 50.... hated her and possibly did more harm than good BUT it was her or the total bollocks that was Callaghans government in 1979 so we got the government we deserved.

What people forget is that she was one of the most unpopular premiers in history UNTIL the Falklands. It was our fault then that we voted her back in TWICE.

Here we go again keeping her alive (me included.. durr!!)

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
A strong leader who stood by her beliefs, unfortunately that was at the expense of the country's infrastructure. Divided opinions, divided the country. Lots of people prospered, lots of people did not. Ultimately it was thatcherism that has lead to the economical problems the country faces today. Ther is my twopennies worth.

Well, your twopennies worth is frankly too simplistic. You conveniently forgot to mention the strikes from overly-powerful unions that were taking place on a regular basis and had already destroyed the country. She had to rebuild it. Three day weeks, teachers strikes, transport strikes, rat infested rubbish in the streets where our kids played - do you not remember?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You have cocked up more than that. It is the people over 50's views that are most valid..

Probably should have added 40-50 and over 50

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Over 40, under 50.... hated her and possibly did more harm than good BUT it was her are the total bollocks that was Callaghjans government in 1979 so we got the government we deserved.

What people forget is that she was one of the most unpopular premiers in history UNTIL the Falklands. It was our fault then that we voted her back in TWICE.

Here we go again keeping her alive (me included.. durr!!)

Indeed, the people never voted her out, only her own back-stabbing party members.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Indeed, the people never voted her out, only her own back-stabbing party members.

You have to ask why they voted her out though?

Anyone remember what was happening then? ;)

Why would ANYONE choose Major over Thatcher?

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
You have to ask why they voted her out though?

Anyone remember what was happening then? ;)

Why would ANYONE choose Major over Thatcher?

In my opinion, it was because they Tory Party members had become complacent, and felt that they were invincable in the polls. The rank and file members from the centre and left of the party wanted power for their chosen representative, tearing the party apart, and from which it has never recovered. Look what a wet weekend they have to compromise on to become their leader now!

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Under 30, I think she was bad for this country.

I also gain no satisfaction from her death and find it upsetting that so many are pleased to see her dead. I presume they've had more first hand experience of hardship that they associate with her. I won't be crying at her funeral, and I won't be dancing on her grave. I didn't like politics and I've been very vocally critical of her and her legacy in the past but my moral compass couldn't allow me to take joy from her passing. Whether you hate her or not, she inspires people to talk and learn about politics and that's a good thing.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i've stay out of this, but one thing i've found amusing/sad is pictures on telly box of young 20-somethings "celebrating" her death. now i understant some who lived in the 80's might have a grievance, but if you weren't even born when she left office, you are just trying to be trendy. look forward to lots of students "protesting" against her at the funeral.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Under 30, I think she was bad for this country.

I also gain no satisfaction from her death and find it upsetting that so many are pleased to see her dead. I presume they've had more first hand experience of hardship that they associate with her. I won't be crying at her funeral, and I won't be dancing on her grave. I didn't like politics and I've been very vocally critical of her and her legacy in the past but my moral compass couldn't allow me to take joy from her passing. Whether you hate her or not, she inspires people to talk and learn about politics and that's a good thing.

Well frankly if you are under 30, you needed to see the bits with the unions for yourself to make a fair judgement. I have a friend who was a young apprentice sent to a contruction site building a power station (other power plants on the site were already working). He was told to take some drawings to the site office. The NUM pickets would not let him in. Being more scared of losing his job than the pickets, and knowing he was nothing to do with the dispute, he tried to get past them. The *******s beat him up and broke his arm. The NUM and their flying pickets were the scum of the earth trying to bully our nation into giving in to their demands.

Given the nature of our academics and press, things have been distorted. At the very worst she stayed in power too long, but the smashing of the unions was vital.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
i've stay out of this, but one thing i've found amusing/sad is pictures on telly box of young 20-somethings "celebrating" her death. now i understant some who lived in the 80's might have a grievance, but if you weren't even born when she left office, you are just trying to be trendy. look forward to lots of students "protesting" against her at the funeral.

If they do, I hope that the OB really smash a few sculls! Any protesters will deserve all they get.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
The poll tax was fair, but the great unwashed don't like fair, they always want someone else to pay more to subsidise them, as was the case under the old rating system.

Pork Pie you beat me to it, but it was the great unwashed who were the ones who took to the streets and rioted, because they'd been found out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here