Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cotter pin removal

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ok chaps we've been here before, but that's all the way over in archive, so forgive me for starting again.

Having been defeated in the winter I'm having another go at removing 1 cotter pin, and still can't get the bugger out.

I've been at it with:-

WD40 - Which somewhat annoyingly actually drains through the crank arm and drops out the other side of the pin.
A 4lb club hammer - I ended up mushrooming the the pin, which I've cut down to level with the crank arm.
A heat gun - It's been so hot the plastic pedal 20cms away has heated up.

Still the mo-fo won't pop out, how the frack can I get this pin out.

Oh and the pin on the other side popped out with a little warmth from the heat gun.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Rivet gun.... If you can get hold of one. And if you can get a rivet gun to the pin.
I only remembered I had a heat gun thingy, on Saturday.
But I absolutely don't have a rivet gun.

Commander

Apr 28, 2004
London
Without meaning to be rude, is there ANYTHING you don't ask NSC's advice for? It really is becoming incredibly tedious.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Without meaning to be rude, is there ANYTHING you don't ask NSC's advice for? It really is becoming incredibly tedious.
Hey that's not fair, I've been a good boy for ages, well at little while at least!

Anyway as said on the clutch thread, is there anything NSC doesn't have an expert in?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Ok chaps we've been here before, but that's all the way over in archive, so forgive me for starting again.

Having been defeated in the winter I'm having another go at removing 1 cotter pin, and still can't get the bugger out.

I've been at it with:-

WD40 - Which somewhat annoyingly actually drains through the crank arm and drops out the other side of the pin.
A 4lb club hammer - I ended up mushrooming the the pin, which I've cut down to level with the crank arm.
A heat gun - It's been so hot the plastic pedal 20cms away has heated up.

Still the mo-fo won't pop out, how the frack can I get this pin out.

Oh and the pin on the other side popped out with a little warmth from the heat gun.

Do you have a bench vice?
45231_BV125-L.jpg

If you do, get something under the bottom bracket so that the vice jaws are level with the cotter pin. You'll need some bit of metal with a hole or large nut for the side the pin comes out. Close the vice jaws onto the pin and it should be pushed out into the hole of either the nut of bit of metal.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Do you have a bench vice?
View attachment 41417

If you do, get something under the bottom bracket so that the vice jaws are level with the cotter pin. You'll need some bit of metal with a hole or large nut for the side the pin comes out. Close the vice jaws onto the pin and it should be pushed out into the hole of either the nut of bit of metal.
Ah I've been trying the homemade version of that, with a G-clamp and a long socket over the big end.
Now I've had to cut the pin down level with the crank arm, that's out of the question.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Ah I've been trying the homemade version of that, with a G-clamp and a long socket over the big end.
Now I've had to cut the pin down level with the crank arm, that's out of the question.

You could always try a solid bit of metal the same size as the hole, or hack saw off a nut top so that the thread part will be forced into the cotter hole.

Got to say though that a g-clamp won't have anywhere near the force of a vice. Might be worth a £30 investment for future pin removals as it is a much less damaging technique than hammering the f*ckers out!

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Got to say though that a g-clamp won't have anywhere near the force of a vice. Might be worth a £30 investment for future pin removals as it is a much less damaging technique than hammering the f*ckers out!
If you think I'm ever going anywhere near another resto project with a cotter pinned crank, I'll sell you some magic beans :lol:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
You are not allowed to have a shed, without a vice on a workbench in it. So maybe you haven't got a shed? Those are the rules.
Anyway, you must find something to stand the crank on that won't give, and adsorb the blows when you hit the drift that you have put on the sawn off end of the cotter pin and hit with the 4lb club hammer.
Any cotter pin will fall out given that treatment.
Or get one of these.

Press.jpg

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
I'd suggest hitting the other end of it - it will only come out 1 way! :)
A couple of years ago I had a long walk home because of the opposite problem to the one you are facing. Didn't realise how lucky I was at the time.

How about just riding it a bit hard now it's all lubed up and see if you too have a long walk home? I accept you may need to rebuild the rest of the bike first.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How about just riding it a bit hard now it's all lubed up and see if you too have a long walk home? I accept you may need to rebuild the rest of the bike first.
That's the annoying thing.

This one (half) a cotter pin is the last component left on the bike, once this is removed, it's respray and rebuild.
I can't believe it can be so maddening.

The pin in question is on the bottom bracket side of the crank.
All the heating has loosened the BB, so I know once I get this flaming pin out, the rebuild can begin.

I'm going at it with a drill, tomorrow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here