Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No Minutes Silence

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Very sensible move in my view.

Enforcing a silence for an individual as divisive as Thatcher could have turned quite nasty with some people not observing the silence irking the sensibilities of others who do wish to pay their respect.

I personally would not have kept silent and I know that would annoy some of the people around me at the Amex.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
You could have 2 minutes. The first one a traditional minutes silence, the second one a minutes whooping and dancing for joy. You could join in whichever one you felt was appropriate.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
A minutes applause would suffice.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I don't think there should ever be a forced silence or applause at any mass event unless the event is specifically for that person (funeral, wedding etc).

By all means show respect if the individual wants to but in your own way, not enforced. It's just fake.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
They won't notice any difference in the North Stand next Saturday :)

from
a fellow supporter in the WSU

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
They could just include "Ding dong, the witch is dead" in the pre-match playlist, at each ground?

PWA

European Tour 2023/24
Jul 23, 2011
West Sussex
I remember somebody had Benny Hill go off at Peterborough Away in Apr 02.
Tough to remain straight-faced under those conditions.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They could just include "Ding dong, the witch is dead" in the pre-match playlist, at each ground?

That Pete Wylie track would get the crowd reved up; it's a real stomper of a tune.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Its guaranteed to encourage booing in many parts of the country, and that would not give it any dignity. Im not sorry she has gone by any stretch, but at the end of the day, she was a British leader, and to have her boo'd up and down the country in the media glare would be a bit crass, and embarrassing when shown around the world. Ill be honest, and say I celebrated last night.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Very sensible move in my view.

Enforcing a silence for an individual as divisive as Thatcher could have turned quite nasty with some people not observing the silence irking the sensibilities of others who do wish to pay their respect.

I personally would not have kept silent and I know that would annoy some of the people around me at the Amex.

Agree entirely. I would have to go back to the concourse and voice my feelings away from those who wish to celebrate her legacy - something I would find impossible to do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here