Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Winning a game from being behind

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 8, 2005
We all know we are shit at this, I'm pretty sure we haven't done it for a year and half (the Doncaster game), but is it just us or is it down to modern day defending being so much better now.

Does anyone have any stats on teams losing when ahead? or winning from behind?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
No, it's because our build up play is so slow and pondrous that we are playing in front of the opposition at ALL times and very rarely ever threaten to get in behind them.

Teams know that if they go 1 up all they need to do is defend their 12 yard box and they'll win. We are unable to break down any team with a defensive mentality and a bit of determination about them.

And it's so agonisingly BORING to watch.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
Aug 8, 2005
No, it's because our build up play is so slow and pondrous that we are playing in front of the opposition at ALL times and very rarely ever threaten to get in behind them.

Teams know that if they go 1 up all they need to do is defend their 6 yard box and they'll win. We are unable to break down any team with a defensive mentality and a bit of determination about them.

And it's so agonisingly BORING to watch.

That is my theory that teams find it easy to defend against us but I am curious as to whether this is now more common across all of football. I just feel that teams winning from a goal or more behind doesn't seem to happen as much as it used to. But it could just be that we are shit at it of course.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I think the only time we're likely to do it again is if we're playing a team who NEEDS to win by 2 or 3. Most other teams will turn up, grab a goal and sit back at 1-0 knowing that we probably won't score 1, let alone 2. But if they score but keep on attacking us then that leaves more room for us to break them down.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
The thing is, we can come from behind to get into a winning position - Wolves away and Birmingham away are both examples from this season where we have gone behind and worked ourselves into a winning position. Therefore we are clearly capable. The problem is that we let in very late equalisers on both occasions.

I'm not sure what the issue is. Maybe luck, maybe lack of concentration.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I genuinely thought we were going to break this duck on Saturday! Still think / hope we will before the end of the season.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Most teams who come to the AMEX would settle for a point, so if they go one up they are going to try and shut up shop, we might nick one but unlikely to get two.

Away we dont seem to play attacking enough football, so when we go one down again we seem to struggle.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
We've not lost a game we've been leading for ages as well though

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
Aug 8, 2005
Surely we also have to work into the equation how often we go behind? We rarely let a goal in before half time these days.

86 league games ago that we last won from having gone a goal behind.

It could be argued that we don't go a goal behind too often, however, when we do, we very rarely look like winning a game.

This sequence is unfortunately the main reason why we didn't get into the playoffs last season & maybe not this year either!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
Aug 8, 2005
The issue to me, especially away from home seems to be we switch into more attacking mode when we go behind, get the equaliser but then don't go on from there. Or if we do, like against Birmingham and Wolves we then can't defend properly having had that attacking phase.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
Aug 8, 2005
Looking back, I think it's Ipswich away - 1st October 2011.

That was the game immediately before the Ipswich game. So it happened twice in a row.

So actually over the same period of time we have only twice when been ahead?

Which sort of supports my theory that in modern football defences are better equipped to defend leads? There must be some stats on this somewhere?

Acker79

Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So actually over the same period of time we have only twice when been ahead?

Which sort of supports my theory that in modern football defences are better equipped to defend leads? There must be some stats on this somewhere?

Three times. Palace, Ipswich, and Blackpool.

We conceded first v Wrexham, drew the match in normal and extra time, but won the penalty shoot out. So technically we won when conceding first there.

Also, if we want to include pre-season we came from behind to beat Chelsea. But if we include pre-season, we have to include the Hastings game where we lost 3-2 after being two goals up.

Jimmy Grimble

The issue to me, especially away from home seems to be we switch into more attacking mode when we go behind, get the equaliser but then don't go on from there. Or if we do, like against Birmingham and Wolves we then can't defend properly having had that attacking phase.

I think there is some truth in this. We could extend that to the Forest game as well. We seem to find it difficult to control a game after going in front from a drawing/losing position. I get the sense that the players do start to panic a little.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
I think Newcastle had a similar record from winning from going behind up until a couple of weeks ago, so not just us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here