Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Since the start of last season, 28 Albion games have had goals scored in after...

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
...the 85th minute.

Those late goals have won Albion 17 points, let slip 16.

31 goals in total. For 18. Against 13.

Did a piece on it HERE if anyone interested.

Just thought the headline stats might be of interest to people on here.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
That is really quite interesting.

The funny thing I often read on here when people have a pop at Poyet is the conceeding of late goals and that it shows a mental 'weakness', however they don't seem to acknowledge that we have scored the more ourselves late on.

I like that, even if we need a late goal, we still try and play. We're not made to hoof it long, keep playing and believe a chance will arise. We almost got a late winner against Charlton and we got a late equaliser against Leicester.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Good work.

Not unexpected really that Albion should be fairly average in terms of how late goals affect matters.

It does, however, feel like we deliberately "defend too deep" when we have the lead (and that this costs us points from conceding late goals that could otherwise be avoided) - but these stats suggest otherwise, which is reassuring.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It does, however, feel like we deliberately "defend too deep" when we have the lead (and that this costs us points from conceding late goals that could otherwise be avoided) - but these stats suggest otherwise, which is reassuring.

The whole sitting deep thing is a really difficult one for a manager isn't it.

If I was sitting there as Gus and I knew the opposition will start having double the players running up the pitch in search of a late goal (2 strikers, maybe 3 midfielders and arguably a defender), I couldn't see myself doing anything other than telling my team to drop. The worst nightmare is the ball being player over and have 2 or 3 runners bearing down on goal. The last thing you want is your defenders having to turn and run.

So I would say, you're not so much inviting them on, your purely attempting to lower the risk. Of course, this appears negative to the crowd but a lead is a precious commodity.

That's just how I see it anyway.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I like that, even if we need a late goal, we still try and play. We're not made to hoof it long, keep playing and believe a chance will arise. We almost got a late winner against Charlton and we got a late equaliser against Leicester.
Can't agree with that. The bloke behind me in WSU, who I regard as a bit of a sage on all things football related, repeatedly asserted that Brighton should "get it forward" and "the goal's down that way" in the latter stages on Saturday.

My only suspicion that he might in fact be a completely idiotic **** (in which case you could be right about us continuing to pass the ball even when pressing for goal) came when he exclaimed at Vicente along the lines of "bloody useless - always just gives it away" ...

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
...the 85th minute.

Those late goals have won Albion 17 points, let slip 16.

31 goals in total. For 18. Against 13.

Did a piece on it HERE if anyone interested.

Just thought the headline stats might be of interest to people on here.

Good work. Another issue for me is why we can't win after falling behind. We haven't managed to do that since THE Doncaster game, getting on now for two years. Why? What's all that about? "Mental" rigour, leadership on the pitch? I'm baffled. I know the first goal in this league is very important but to go nearly two years is extraordinary for such a talented group of players.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
The whole sitting deep thing is a really difficult one for a manager isn't it.

If I was sitting there as Gus and I knew the opposition will start having double the players running up the pitch in search of a late goal (2 strikers, maybe 3 midfielders and arguably a defender), I couldn't see myself doing anything other than telling my team to drop. The worst nightmare is the ball being player over and have 2 or 3 runners bearing down on goal. The last thing you want is your defenders having to turn and run.

So I would say, you're not so much inviting them on, your purely attempting to lower the risk. Of course, this appears negative to the crowd but a lead is a precious commodity.

That's just how I see it anyway.
These are good points. A friend of mine who genuinely knows about football (Premier League scout) made a similar case when I talked to him about it and he also said that a lot what goes on is down to the players and not the manager i.e. that the players instinctively do what is necessary in terms of the positions they take up to maximise the chance of winning. If it was as simple as playing higher up the pitch and continuing to attack then they would do that.

Your use of the word "risk" is helpful as this seems to boil down to probability... the tactics of the trailing team are high risk and make a goal for either side much more likely than normal - as the leading team it is correct to counter with tactics which reduce the probability of a goal being scored in the game.

Jimmy Grimble

I've got the stats from the 90th minute onwards I'll have to fish out. Our record is a lot worse from that point of the game.

Jimmy Grimble

Goals in the 90th minute and beyond and how they've affected the points, since Poyet took over -

09/10 season:

Bristol Rovers (h) +2
Stockport (a) +1
Exeter (a) +2

Leeds (a) -2

10/11 season:

Oldham (h) +2
Exeter (a) +2
Carlisle (h) +2

Bournemouth (h) -2
Bristol Rovers (h) -2
Huddersfield (h) -1

11/12 season:

Doncaster (h) +2
Forest (h) +2
Leicester (h) +2
Leeds (a) +2

Blackpool (h) -2
Leeds (h) -2
Forest (a) -2

12/13 season:

Peterborough (h) +2
Blackburn (a) +1

Bolton (h) -2
Wolves (a) - 2
Birmingham (a) - 2
Forest (a) - 2

Annoying that the late goals we've conceded have all been from winning positions in the last two seasons. Perhaps says something about how we defend in the last few minutes when we're winning. Or of course could say something about the opposition and how much they're committing forward.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Good work. Another issue for me is why we can't win after falling behind. We haven't managed to do that since THE Doncaster game, getting on now for two years. Why? What's all that about? "Mental" rigour, leadership on the pitch? I'm baffled. I know the first goal in this league is very important but to go nearly two years is extraordinary for such a talented group of players.

We have come very close a couple of times remember though, only to blow it by conceding last minute equalisers. Leeds at home last year and Birmingham and Wolves away this year spring to mind immediately. So I don't really think there's a mental issue there, possibly more just that our playing style struggles against teams when they sit back (which most do naturally when they take the lead), but don't think it's due to a lack of leadership or fight or anything.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
So, during Gus's tenure we are 1pt to the good on the 90mins+ stat... i.e. completely average/normal and "win some, lose some" like everyone else....

Worth remembering next time I'm watching us holding precariously to a lead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here