Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sports Personality 2003-2013

brixtonA23

Aug 5, 2011
I've never quite worked why we expect footballers, athletes, musicians et al, to be like the less focused people. To be that good, you have one dream, to be the best and basically, f**k the rest. What they do will be a memory for all time, but personality wise, doubt you would ask them round for dinner. Even the lovely Jess Ennis would sulk if she lost at cards, and Nick Faldo would need an autocue. Remember Sports Personality of the Year, surely the clue was in the title. In the last ten years any thoughts who should have won?

My choice Kris Kamara

Beat that.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I've never quite worked why we expect footballers, athletes, musicians et al, to be like the less focused people. To be that good, you have one dream, to be the best and basically, f**k the rest. What they do will be a memory for all time, but personality wise, doubt you would ask them round for dinner. Even the lovely Jess Ennis would sulk if she lost at cards, and Nick Faldo would need an autocue. Remember Sports Personality of the Year, surely the clue was in the title. In the last ten years any thoughts who should have won?

My choice Kris Kamara

Beat that.

Well it can't be denied that he's got a personality, just a shame it gives every indication of him being an irritating tit.

Though, if you'd be willing to accept those of questionable personality why not Barton or Balotelli? Both appear to be utter morons but they could hardly be accused of being boring.

Failing all that; Oatway.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Personality is just another name for person. It is nothing to do with a ranking of how nice or funny or entertaining they are.

Was just about to post this.

The meaning of the word "personality" has evolved in the 50 odd years this award has been handed out.

Like the words "gay" and "wicked" if you like.

Think of it as Sports Person of the Year.

Because several of the winners - Mansell, Cavendish, Faldo, McCoy either haven't got much personality or if they have, it isn't very nice!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I thought Wiggins showed a bit of personality this year. But on the whole I agree it is more about the person than the personality.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
No doubt Andy Murray will do easily enough to be the best British sports person this year, but not win because people dont 'like' him.

Quite sad really.

brixtonA23

Aug 5, 2011
Personality is just another name for person. It is nothing to do with a ranking of how nice or funny or entertaining they are.

Personality is not just another name for a person. Neither does funny or entertaining make a person. I would hope they had both and something else. I hate to draw attention to this but it was about a sports person who can be singular in their goal whilst realising that there is the world outside. You obviously understand the idea of a persona, else call yourself John rather than your post name.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here