Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A23 speeding accidental court summons

Discodoktor

Apr 28, 2011
Guildford
I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else. If so phone them up.

I got a speeding fine on A23 49mph in the temporary 40mph roadwork area. I sent off the documents and payment in time, then I get a court summons saying they didn't receive it in time. I contacted them saying do you have my documents they said yes. Then they ask me to hold the line. They return and tell me that by pure coincidence they are sending me a letter today to say sorry for the inconvenience they have caused. Basically when they moved the Fixed Penalty Office to Southend in January they forgot to tell them they had my paperwork and due to a backlog it didn't get processed properly in time. They said that they can not recall the court summons as the system wont allow it. So they sent me a letter to give to the court confirming that it shouldn't have happened.

FYI I'm sorry for speeding. I honestly didn't see it. I did have a clean licence and having been driving for over 20 years.

Regardless, if this has happened to you and you haven't phoned you should.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I can never understand how people can get caught in a average speed check. It's not as if you wasn't warned. I could sympathize if some speed cop jumps out from behind a tree and zaps you with a radar gun.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I thought Bridcutt was excellant as usual.

Discodoktor

Apr 28, 2011
Guildford
I can never understand how people can get caught in a average speed check. It's not as if you wasn't warned. I could sympathize if some speed cop jumps out from behind a tree and zaps you with a radar gun.

are you fishing? or referring to someone else.

I wasn't caught on average speed but one camera. True, and I also thought it was average speed.

Regardless you made your point.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
are you fishing? or referring to someone else.

I wasn't caught on average speed but one camera. True, and I also thought it was average speed.

Regardless you made your point.
Where was you caught then on the A23?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Were you making a quick getaway with some stolen gardening vouchers?

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
How many are going to get caught by the 20mph speed limit in Brighton coming in force today....personally I think it's a bad idea,business relies on speedy deliveries,taxi fares will increase due to being in the taxi longer....have any of you tried to keep a car at 20mph...you drive slow but have to keep looking at speedometer to check you are not creeping above the limit...therefore eyes off the road longer. That is just my opinion....you might get let off today as it's a new project...but soon there will cases galore to fill the cash coffers of the Stazi..

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
How many are going to get caught by the 20mph speed limit in Brighton coming in force today....personally I think it's a bad idea,business relies on speedy deliveries,taxi fares will increase due to being in the taxi longer....have any of you tried to keep a car at 20mph...you drive slow but have to keep looking at speedometer to check you are not creeping above the limit...therefore eyes off the road longer. That is just my opinion....you might get let off today as it's a new project...but soon there will cases galore to fill the cash coffers of the Stazi..

Not very many it would appear.....What's the point? 20mph speed cameras won't work From The Argus)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Where was you caught then on the A23?

This. Most people will probably understand that by temporary speed restrictions in the roadworks area you are referring to the road widening at Handcross and if so then this is done on an average speed basis. If this was the area then it is very clearly marked and signposted that average speed cameras are in operation together with mobile digital signs telling you how many people have been convicted in the last week.

If it wasn't there that you were caught then where was it?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There are no standard fixed cameras in the 40mph roadworks limit, only the average speed ones.

The Safety Camera Partnership people do, as everyone knows, sometimes park up on the bridge at Warninglid to check speeds but I don't think this covers the roadworks, or at least not for more than a few metres.

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed

Cue loads of comedy moan-ups from Lance Armstrong types going over the limit on their push bikes and getting nicked :whistle:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here