Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alzheimers Society collecting...

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I noticed that the Alzheimers Society were collecting outside the ground yesterday which gave me some sort of confirmation in going yesterday..my mum slipped away on monday after suffering from dementia for the last 4 years.... and i haven't really been in the mood for the last 2 home games, but i have good memories of her taking me to football when i was young..so i guess i wanted to go for her.

Now at peace.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Sorry for your loss this week. My father passed away a year ago after having Alzheimers for 3 years or so - it's an awful disease.

Have to say though, the Alzheimers society did absolutely nothing for my mum, other than offering nurses at twice the cost we were paying. I don't know if we were nlucky.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Sorry for your loss this week. My father passed away a year ago after having Alzheimers for 3 years or so - it's an awful disease.

Have to say though, the Alzheimers society did absolutely nothing for my mum, other than offering nurses at twice the cost we were paying. I don't know if we were nlucky.

We used them to help when Dad needed respite during the day and found them relatively cheap and the lady who came was excellent..my mum could be 'difficult' ...but i guess everyone has different experiences...with this disease growing i hope improvements in medication continue

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I noticed that the Alzheimers Society were collecting outside the ground yesterday which gave me some sort of confirmation in going yesterday..my mum slipped away on monday after suffering from dementia for the last 4 years.... and i haven't really been in the mood for the last 2 home games, but i have good memories of her taking me to football when i was young..so i guess i wanted to go for her.

Now at peace.

I can certainly relate to what you have said Lamie, and my condolences to your very recent bereavement. My dear old mum also passed away relatively recently (last October) after Alzheimers slowly consumed her. Like you, I try to remember the many many good times I was fortunate to have with her, but I still miss her massively. Best wishes to you at this very difficult time.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
A horrible, horrible condition and I really feel for anyone who has to watch a loved one being consumed by it.

My nan passed away 8 years ago after having had it for a few years, by the time she died she and my Grandad had been married for nearly 60 years and had known each other since they were 4 years old, yet she couldn't recognise him when he went to visit her every day.

As harsh as it may sound the end was almost a relief when it came, but I wouldn't wish the experience on my worst enemy.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
sorry to hear about that lamie ....all the best mate....if your mum took you to the footy she must have been sound....:thumbsup: x

brixtonA23

Aug 5, 2011
Cheers..she was! ...and ta for all the other comments

My gran had it, as does my aunt, and we've just lost my uncle who was caring for her. It is horrible.

If it's any solace, the memories your mum lost are the memories you keep and over time you will remember the time before. Chin up and hope the Society got some recognition and the money they need.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Did anyone listen to Fighting Talk, yesterday.

Richard Osman (the tall one from Pointless) was asked, what would you bring back from The Good Ol' Days?. He replied:-

'most of us went to our first games with a loved one who's no longer with us.
I'd love to have that person back, for one more game, until they disappear off into the crowd, at the final whistle'.

Lovely answer but did rather spoil the rest of the comedy panel show!

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
I saw them collecting as well and made a donation my nan and grandad have dementia it's horrible seeing them deteriate like this at the end of lives. It is truly a horrible and misunderstood disease.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)

Now at peace.

Our thoughts are with you and your family mate, hope you are all bearing up with it all, and special thoughts for your sister as well :thumbsup:

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
If anyone is interested, I do an annual walk for the Alzheimers Society each year in memory of my mother, although in reality it is in memory of all who have suffered.

It is a dawn country walk, this year on June 23rd, Woodingdean to Rodmell and back to Peacehaven.

Anyone who would like to join us is welcome.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton

Now at peace.

My thoughts are with you, I know how cruel that disease is.

Now at peace.
Sorry to here that, there's plenty of good ones up there,she will be in good company.Have similar memories of my mum and football, the albion always gives that connection with the past.

Sorry to hear of your loss Lamie.
My sister died of early onset dementia when she was just 58. Awful disease, and very little funding for it.
I run the Brighton Marathon last year for Alzheimers society, and running this year for Younger People With Dementia (YPWD)
If anyone fancies donating a couple of quid, it would be much appreciated
Virgin Money Giving | Fundraising | John Wright's fundraising page
Good luck with the run.

YPWD is a fine cause. It's a shame that the Alzheimers Society have closed down the Towner Club locally.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here