Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

the big match revisited itv4 8.30am

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I wish they'd show other seasons other than 1978/79 and 1982/83.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
They do tend to repeat themselves month after month , not sure why .

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Looks like Jack Nicholson playing in goal for Sunderland :lolol:

AlbionRob

Dec 25, 2011
Gutted that my Dad didn't let me go to this match. Still, I was only 8 at the time and missed the coach being pelted with stones by some Sunderland fans.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
ITV haven't changed down the years. All about the so called 'big' clubs.

The mullet headed Elton Welsby was Sunderland obsessed in his presentation, despite the fact the Brighton game was a promotion decider for them & Sunderland were relying on Crystal Palace messing up. Brighton had made The First Division for the first time in their history, but this barely got a mention, even in the match commentary.

Bizarre how times have changed - Wrexham back then were a Division Two (Championship) team back then.

Seen the game many times over, but will still watch it over & over again. There's even a brief two second glimpse of a much younger me! :)

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The mullet headed Elton Welsby was Sunderland obsessed in his presentation.

Knock him all you want but name me another sports presenter who went on to become Archbishop of Canturbury.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Left hh at 11pm on friday night,coaches left early for that one:moo:

Our crew left what is now the Hob Goblin pub in London Road around that time. We were the first coach parked in the cattle market dead early. Had a walk about and sausage roll then a kickabout. Mid morning we were being stoned---------Everyone back on the bus:eek:

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
ITV haven't changed down the years. All about the so called 'big' clubs.

The mullet headed Elton Welsby was Sunderland obsessed in his presentation, despite the fact the Brighton game was a promotion decider for them & Sunderland were relying on Crystal Palace messing up. Brighton had made The First Division for the first time in their history, but this barely got a mention, even in the match commentary.

Bizarre how times have changed - Wrexham back then were a Division Two (Championship) team back then.

Seen the game many times over, but will still watch it over & over again. There's even a brief two second glimpse of a much younger me! :)

ITV sports cover was regionalised back then, not national. The coverage was steered towards the North East clubs hence the bias towards Sunderland.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They do tend to repeat themselves month after month , not sure why .

Have that on ITV, repeatedly over the last 2 years.
I was one of the 10,000 Albion fans lucky enough to be there.

In the highlights, I thought the standard of play was shockingly awful. Championship football have improved so much.
(In contrast, on cable I've watched some 70's First Division and European Cup games featuring Liverpool and some other top English clubs and the standard of play was fantastic, even then).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here