Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which double bed for a rental property?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm not sure if my need for NSC help could get more bizarre, but strangely this is a serious question.

A couple renting my flat are getting a bad back from their bed (it's stupidly soft & has a sprung base adding to the problem), and I need to replace it. Can anyone recommend a good value 4'6" firm bed please.

Thanks!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Blimy I wish my landlord would buy me a bed, we ended up having to paint the place ourselves him having not spent diddly squat on the place snice we moved in over 5 years go.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Buy a sheet of Plywood. Stick it under the mattress. I don't suppose the Rental Agreement specifies that the bed has to be comfortable, to their satisfaction.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ikea for sure.
Not somewhere I'd think of really - will check out now. I checked Amazon, and some cheap mattresses get good reviews, and then the reviewers that have had the bed for a year give poor reviews. Typical.

Are they unable to make a purchase themselves?
It's part furnished, and I supplied the bed so I guess it's my problem.

Blimy I wish my landlord would buy me a bed, we ended up having to paint the place ourselves him having not spent diddly squat on the place snice we moved in over 5 years go.
You need a nicer landlord.

Buy a sheet of Plywood. Stick it under the mattress. I don't suppose the Rental Agreement specifies that the bed has to be comfortable, to their satisfaction.
Indeed there's nothing in the contract that would help them, but the bed is a bit rubbish so I feel I have to do something.

Surely furniture is their responsibility not yours?
I supplied it, so it's my problem. Strangely I have no idea where I got the bed from, I don't recognise it at all :shrug:

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I'm not sure if my need for NSC help could get more bizarre, but strangely this is a serious question.

A couple renting my flat are getting a bad back from their bed (it's stupidly soft & has a sprung base adding to the problem), and I need to replace it. Can anyone recommend a good value 4'6" firm bed please.

Thanks!

My advice would be to be careful. I'm a landlord who learnt that it is far better to let unfurnished. The more you provide the less economic it gets. Obviously if you have great tenants and trust them then go ahead, but I personally would ask them to provide their own. A bed is one of the most personal things you buy and what suits one person does not suit another.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My advice would be to be careful. I'm a landlord who learnt that it is far better to let unfurnished.
This particular property suits being part furnished (a few tenants that share, as opposed to a couple with their own stuff).

The more you provide the less economic it gets.
To a point I guess, but having part furnished allows you to deduct 10% of the rent for wear and tear.
Obviously if you have great tenants and trust them then go ahead, but I personally would ask them to provide their own. A bed is one of the most personal things you buy and what suits one person does not suit another.
I have good tenants, but I agree about how personal a bed is. I don't think these tenants will be interested in buying though, as they may not be in the country that long.

Do you need a whole new bed, or just a new mattress?
Whole. The existing divan has springs in it, which is part of the problem.
Thanks for the links. I did look on ebay (for mattresses), but beds are easy to make cheap and shoddy, and they may only last a short while before I'm back where I started. Should be ok for a base though.

Deanbha

Mar 27, 2008
Living in the real world.
Wow, makes me realise my landlord does jack shit. Just painted my living room as it was yellow and then the landlord has just put my rent up by £60 a month. Asked him if we could get laminate flooring as the carpet is shit, his reply was 'if you pay for it'.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Thank you all. I think I'll get a pocket sprung mattress - it's what I know, and unless getting a specific memory foam mattress I think pocket sprung is the best bet.

To those recommending Ikea, could you tell me which mattress you'd recommend - as I've looked and there's a fair amount of confusing choice.

I'm also considering a Silentnight one from Tesco - seems decent value and gets good reviews:
Buy Silentnight Pocket Essentials Mattress from our All Mattresses range - Tesco.com

Thanks!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Thank you all. I think I'll get a pocket sprung mattress - it's what I know, and unless getting a specific memory foam mattress I think pocket sprung is the best bet.

To those recommending Ikea, could you tell me which mattress you'd recommend - as I've looked and there's a fair amount of confusing choice.

I'm also considering a Silentnight one from Tesco - seems decent value and gets good reviews:
Buy Silentnight Pocket Essentials Mattress from our All Mattresses range - Tesco.com

Thanks!

Do not, I repeat do not, buy Silentnight. We wasted over £800 on a Silentnight bed which was useless after 4 years. Our Ikea bed is 10 times better.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Do not, I repeat do not, buy Silentnight. We wasted over £800 on a Silentnight bed which was useless after 4 years. Our Ikea bed is 10 times better.
Yes boss. Got it boss.

Right then, it's either an Ikea
Sultan Hagavik (Medium) £180 SULTAN HAGAVIK Active pocket sprung mattress - 140x200 cm - IKEA
or
Sultan Hamnvik (Firm) £200 SULTAN HAMNVIK Active pocket sprung mattress - 140x200 cm - IKEA

And I need a base to go with that - I usually get divans, but Ikea mattresses are slightly different sizes to normal, so I guess I need an Ikea bed.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Decide on a budget for the bed. Tell the couple what it is. Let them buy a bed, knock whatever it costs (up to your specified maximum) off their next rent cheque.

Ball in their court. No room for complaint. If they decide they need some full orthopaedic malarkey they can poney up the extra themselves.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here