Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A must-listen-to radio broadcast: Mark Thomas and his recently deceased dad

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I found this on the BBC iPlayer the other day and was blown away with how compelling it was

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01rl708/Mark_Thomas_Bravo_Figaro/

It's essentially comedian/activist Mark Thomas talking about his relationship with his dad, an Alzheimer's sufferer and who very recently died. He pulls absolutely no punches but his passion, humour and sense of fair play make sure that it's nothing short of brilliant and the show builds to a very lovely if somewhat bizarre ending . I'm not Thomas's biggest fan although respect him hugely for actually living by his principles and being the real McCoy rather than pseuds such as that Palace-loving Izzard. His self-deprecation is very refreshing too. Seriously, give it a listen. I don't think you'll regret it.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Very good. He's doing a radio thing late night on R4 at moment too, was very impressed.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I listened to this, it's absolutely brilliant. The continuity announcer at the end that announced his father's death the morning of the broadcast was incredibly gutting.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
cracking piece of radio, thanks for the heads up.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Have downloaded it and will listen on the way down from Manchester tomorrow, along with six episodes of Richard Herring.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I found this on the BBC iPlayer the other day and was blown away with how compelling it was

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01rl708/Mark_Thomas_Bravo_Figaro/

It's essentially comedian/activist Mark Thomas talking about his relationship with his dad, an Alzheimer's sufferer and who very recently died. He pulls absolutely no punches but his passion, humour and sense of fair play make sure that it's nothing short of brilliant and the show builds to a very lovely if somewhat bizarre ending . I'm not Thomas's biggest fan although respect him hugely for actually living by his principles and being the real McCoy rather than pseuds such as that Palace-loving Izzard. His self-deprecation is very refreshing too. Seriously, give it a listen. I don't think you'll regret it.

Oh dear. I'm off to a lefty love-in with Izzard right now.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Ah, it's not his left-leaning politics that annoys me but his constant references to his working-class Gran from Bexhill and the implication that he is too. He's nothing of the sort.

And how the hell does an ex-Brighton College boy end up supporting Palace?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A word of warning, this was the 'Radio 4 Comedy of the Week' podcast, but they put up lasts weeks show instead.
I don't know if it's be sorted yet, but you might end up with the wrong thing.

Have downloaded it and will listen on the way down from Manchester tomorrow, along with six episodes of Richard Herring.

What Herring have you got, Talking Co*k?

If so be warned, on occasion you'll need to be able to cross your legs and wince.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here