Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Handing in found money

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
This is the situation.

A couple of months back, my wife was in Sainsburys queuing up at one of those self service till things. The customer in front of her finished dealing with her shopping and my wife therefore went to the now vacant till. While she was putting her shopping through she noticed that the previous customer had left some of her change in the bit where the notes are dispensed so, being the good citizen, she handed the money over to the customer service counter when she had finished her shopping, explaining where she had found it.

She was told by the girl on customer services that if the person whose money it was did not come and claim it within the next two months, then my wife was entitled to claim it. So she left her name and number and waited.

Today she went back in to Sainsburys and asked after the money. She was told (by the same girl that had originally seen her) that any unclaimed monies were given to charity! My wife reminded the girl of the original conversation and the girl conceded that she did recall that conversation but that she had been unsure of whether what she had told her was right. She now knew it to be wrong! She said she would have to get her manager to call my wife tomorrow morning.

So, wise sages of NSC, what are our rights to the unclaimed cash? We are not talking about a large sum so it is more a point of principle. If she had handed the money in to the Police, they would have handed it to her if it was unclaimed wouldn't they. It is not Sainsbury's money to donate to charity so why have they?

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
I found £180 pound in a cash dispenser a couple of years ago. I handed it in.

I didn't really care what they did with the money - my conscience was clear.

At least your cash was given to charity - so I would just leave it to be honest. You might
get the girl in trouble with her boss if you push it - when really she only told you what she
thought was true.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Like I said, the amount is irrelevant. It is a matter of principle.

We might have our own favourite charity that we would want it to go to, not one of their choosing.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Sounds a bit tight to me

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
I can't believe you'd actually go back to claim it, I'm surprised she didn't just take it in the first place

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I understand the Police would give it back to you. It has happened to me a couple of times,well me any mum. She found £500 quid and nobody claimed it. I found a similar amount a few years ago, but the rightful owner was found.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
As far as I'm concerned, any money in the change pots goes to the next customer. If it's my money, I'm happy for the next guy to have it. I don't see that the shop or shop assistant or charity or whatever has a better title to it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Does the OP havre any proof it was given to charity or could it conceivably have been pocketed by the girl. I think that he is right to chase it up to find out exactly what happened to it, I also feel that Sainsburys have a duty to provide the proof for him.

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
I understand the Police would give it back to you. It has happened to me a couple of times,well me any mum. She found £500 quid and nobody claimed it. I found a similar amount a few years ago, but the rightful owner was found.

For £500 it's understandable, but change in a till isn't gonna be more than a tenner and a fiver, who in their right minds would put a fifty in a self service till

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
You come across as a bit of a cock to be honest, can't believe you actually went back and ASKED what had happened! Surely you'd have presumed that because she didn't phone, the money had been claimed and therefore no longer had anything to do with you! Why would you go out of your way to get the girl in trouble, when she even admitted that she had made the mistake??

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Many years ago, on a wet day in Hackney I opened my car door and saw £100 in the gutter. Within 10 minutes I had dried the notes with the car heater on full blast and put them straight in my wallet. In this situation finders keepers

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
clearly the girl at the check out pocketed it. or, having realised they'd given the wrong info just put it in the charity box. either way we're talking at most £4.99 of someone elses money, so why bother about it? really surprised you went asking after it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here