Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What the hell is psychometric profile testing??

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
I have applied for a new joband have been invited to carry out a psychometric profile test, what on earth is it? It says I have 20 mins to complete, I dont want to go into it blinkered, so is there any good links to try a test on line?

Thanks

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the official answer is they are good to test for aptitude and personality. the cynical answer is they are good for lazy HR and people who are good at psychometric tests. i like them, but then im good at them.:)

dont worry too much, they are simple and theres no "correct" outcome from them, unless they are looking for a some particular profile and you're completly unsuited, but that case you probably wouldnt like the job anyway. (like say someone introverted and shy going to a sales job)

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Some football clubs now adopt this.

They ran such a test at Arsenal and found that (honestly, this is no joke), Bendtner recorded the highest ever reading for self-belief in any footballer they had previously scanned. It was on a BBC podcast a while back.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's a test to establish that you are intelligent enough to do the job yet are not too intelligent or confrontational enough to complain about your rate of pay and working conditions.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
What the hell is Psychometric Testing?
Simple answer..........a load of over rated bollocks!

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
It's a test to establish that you are intelligent enough to do the job yet are not too intelligent or confrontational enough to complain about your rate of pay and working conditions.

This.

It's usually pretty easy to guess what the questions are getting at.

These seem to be increasingly used in the current economic climate, particularly by large employers who get a lot of applications for any advertised job. It's a way of mechanically weeding out a mass of applications to a manageable number to interview, and at the same time it enables the employer to say that it was done in an "objective" way, in case they every get anyone complaining about discrimination etc.

Big_Unit

Sep 5, 2011
Hove
Some football clubs now adopt this.

They ran such a test at Arsenal and found that (honestly, this is no joke), Bendtner recorded the highest ever reading for self-belief in any footballer they had previously scanned. It was on a BBC podcast a while back.

Yep - the psychologist who ran the test said that the highest score possible for self-belief was 80, and Bendtner somehow scored 82!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Some trendy HR mumbo-jumbo.

Trendy often suggests modern or new. Psychometric testing has been around for years, literally, over 100 years, so nothing new, and nothing unusual about them when applying for a job. The first one I did was in 1987, and I failed it! (or rather, the tester asked if I actually understood the questions)

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Some trendy HR mumbo-jumbo.

Trendy?

I had to take a psychometric test when I wanted to retrain as a computer programmer 35 years ago!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
the official answer is they are good to test for aptitude and personality. the cynical answer is they are good for lazy HR and people who are good at psychometric tests. i like them, but then im good at them.:)

dont worry too much, they are simple and theres no "correct" outcome from them, unless they are looking for a some particular profile and ywou're completly unsuited, but that case you probably wouldnt like the job anyway. (like say someone introverted and shy going to a sales job)

I don't think you can be "good" at them if there's no correct answer !

I didn't know anywhere still did them, the last one I did was 20 years ago

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here