Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whats the point in giving someone 17yrs in prison

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Or giving somebody 'life' with a minimum of 14 years and 58 days before they can be considered for release? You must been keeping tabs on the Philpot case too.

I'm sure someone will be able to explain the legal reasoning...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
To give their arse some hope?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Maybe they could do a practise fire drill in his cell, pour some petrol around light it up, shut the door, hit the fire alarm and see how quickly they can get him out......

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Isn't it 17 years that they are at her majesty's service, half of which is in prison, and when they are released, the rest of the sentence is served checking in with probation officers and being checked up on etc. so while they are out of prison they are still not completely free, and the slightest offence can lead to them going back into prison (with 'life' meaning you are never free from those restrictions to your liberty)?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
That is our system. Once you accept that ALL prison sentences are served half in prison - half on licence, you are less 'appalled' when you see the old 'they will only do half' line.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Isn't it 17 years that they are at her majesty's service, half of which is in prison, and when they are released, the rest of the sentence is served checking in with probation officers and being checked up on etc. so while they are out of prison they are still not completely free, and the slightest offence can lead to them going back into prison (with 'life' meaning you are never free from those restrictions to your liberty)?

pretty much this!

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
When you get given life in prison, you are on a 99 year licence, meaning that any trouble caused by you, sends you bank to prison.
But when given life, it should be life without a chance of release.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Then tell them you only have to do half?

You spend the rest of your sentence on parolle. So your sentence will still last 17 years. But your will spend at LEAST half of that inside.

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
I rather think this reptile has a reception committee waiting for him wherever he goes - he's right up there with the types the normal hardened inmates don't like one iota so whilst he won't serve a full life sentence under the criminal law system, he'll definitely spend the whole time constantly looking over his shoulder....both in there and when on parole.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Then tell them you only have to do half?

I think the thing is not to look at it as you have, but to look at it as such. Mairead Philpott has been given a sentence of between 8.5 years and 17 years.

Depending on how she behaves in prison, whether the parole board thinks she will be a danger to the community if released etc. will determine how much time she spends in jail.

For lesser crimes, criminals do tend to serve only half their sentence (but this is because of prison overcrowding and the need to free up potentially empty cells for other criminals) but for more serious high profile crimes such as this, that may not be the case. I think Mick may never get out of jail (which is good IMO)

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I think Mick may never get out of jail (which is good IMO)

I know very little (almost nothing) about law and the prison system, but I had concluded the same. A history of violent crime* and also attempted murder*, he was also somebody who seemed to use violent threats to control those around him*, it would seem clear that he would have to be a very old man before he is considered to be of no danger to the public.

*All reported in yesterday's press

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

this
he will always be on license and when he gets out after the recommended time if he so much as sneezes in the wrong way he will be whipped back into prison ...............................and really with his personality that won't be that long and this is all assuming they don't find him stark raving bonkers before then and also that he will be able to walk straight after being someones life bitch fore years

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here