Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

-- Teeth Grinding --

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
A little off-topic..
Recently (past 3-6 months) I've started grinding my teeth in my sleep which is not pleasing the Missus as she wakes up every night to it!
Anyone else encountered this? Any quick fixes?

:moo:

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Do small and slow circles with the jaw like your chewing gum, then slowly make it larger in the mouth. Then where the jaw bone meets the skull is your large masseter muscle towards the back almost in line with the base of your ear lobe is a dimple put your finger in it for 10 sec, then release. This should relax your jaw p.s i'm not a doctor.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Thanks for the replies.
She hinted about the mouth guard thing but I can't imagine sleeping with a mouth-full. She has enough trouble with that, let alone the both of us!

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Get her to sleep in the bathroom. I can't guarantee that the sobbing won't wake you up, but it's worth a go.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I ground my teeth in my sleep for a while. So badly it used to wake me up!

I'm afraid I can't remember doing anything different to make it stop, but I think chilling out and sleeping longer might have helped. I think it's basically a stress thing.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Yes it can be stress related

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
Try sleep aids nytol etc to get into deeper sleep for a week or two.
Once habit broken stop.
If still grinding get your dentist yo make night guard.
Fits over lower teeth. Stops teeth making noise and relaxes your muscles preventing pain.
Not too intrusive.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I ground my teeth in my sleep for a while. So badly it used to wake me up!

I'm afraid I can't remember doing anything different to make it stop, but I think chilling out and sleeping longer might have helped. I think it's basically a stress thing.

Try sleep aids nytol etc to get into deeper sleep for a week or two.
Once habit broken stop.
If still grinding get your dentist yo make night guard.
Fits over lower teeth. Stops teeth making noise and relaxes your muscles preventing pain.
Not too intrusive.

Thanks very much :thumbsup:
Will have a look into the sleeping pills, however, I'm guessing they are herbal. Are they any good?

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
As others have suggested, get your Dentist to kit you out with a plastic guard. My med's cause me to chronically grind my gnashers in my sleep: & the use of an unobtrusive dental guard has saved me from a premature gummy existence. It'll also cut the scary noise out too (probably).

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
My brother does this. He's recently bought a mouthguard/gumshield and it's apparently working.

But yeah if that doesn't help, like others have said - lay off the powder.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
Thanks very much :thumbsup:
Will have a look into the sleeping pills, however, I'm guessing they are herbal. Are they any good?

Yeah. Can get them from chemist.
Not too strong but makes you a sleep deeper so relaxing your mind a bit.
Once cycle of grinding broken you should be ok.
Also try to chill out as said previously grinding ( or bruxism ) is often stress related especially if just started.
Some people will always do it but these usually start early in life and not suddenly.
If you still keep grinding do get a night guard as grinding can **** your teeth up or long term give you jaw joint problems ( tmj disorder ) and that is a bitch to cure.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I had my teeth rebuilt with veneers and inlays on Monday after years of grinding them down. My dentist says they'll be safe for a long time. The front ones feel very strange though - it's like having a set of horses teeth in my mouth at the moment and they stick out when I smile now but they look very impressive. Although the treatment was very expensive, definitely worth it in the long term. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here