Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Moscow

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
My wife and I are off there next month for a long weekend. Got our Visas sorted and think I have sussed the transfer from airport to hotel.

Does anyone have any tips, dos or don'ts?

It's somewhere I have always wanted to go but it was too expensive until Easyjet decided to start flying direct from Manchester (£100 return).

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
Some very good deals to Moscow on Expedia, was very tempted last year just not brave enough!!
Let me know what you think... And any tips for sights/tours.
Cheers

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Don't eat the yellow snow.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Ride the subway but make a point of writing down your route in Russian before travelling as all the signs are in Russian only so you will soon get lost.

Also if the airport is still the same it's weird leaving the country as you go through customs before you get to the ticket desks and remember to keep your customs forms from when you enter the country as you need them to leave, this was the case 10 years ago I assume it hasn't changed.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
You must travel on their underground, unbelievable!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Stay at the Cosmos. 24 hour lappy downstairs.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Whilst the wife is asleep, get to know the solo business women at the hotel bar. Muscovites can be very friendly.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
You could spend the day on the Metro - absolutely brilliant. Go and see Lenin's body if it's open for business and if you drink vodka the Russian way, don't have too much of it as it will blow your head off.

Wally Gould

Jul 10, 2011
My wife and I are off there next month for a long weekend. Got our Visas sorted and think I have sussed the transfer from airport to hotel.

Does anyone have any tips, dos or don'ts?

It's somewhere I have always wanted to go but it was too expensive until Easyjet decided to start flying direct from Manchester (£100 return).
What airport do you arrive at? I went to Domodedovo two years ago for a three night business stay. We had prearranged a taxi to take us to the city centre which is about an hour and a half away. When we eventually got through immigration / customs we could not find our taxi. There were lots of taxi drivers touting for business and some were quite pushy saying they were the ones we had booked. Our booked taxi driver eventually arrived with a sign board with our name on it and apologised for being late due to traffic. We followed him out to the taxi noticing he had a gun sticking out of his back pocket! The traffic in Moscow is horrendous, and we arrived at our hotel 90 minutes later. We were about an hours walk from Red Square so we walked rather than use taxis due to the jams everywhere. If you are brave you can do what the locals do and just stand at the kerb and hold your arm up which signals you want a lift. A lot of car drivers just stop and ask where you want to go, you agree a fare and take your chance!
The subway is fantastic but there are no English translations so make sure you get on the correct train and write down the name of the station you need to go to and want to return to.
Red Square / Kremlin / The Moscow River is quite a site and a must do. Lots of museums. Large massive grey buildings everywhere. The food is usually served in large portions. Also make sure you try the local vodka. A large glass is served slightly warm which you down in one go!
Hope you enjoy your weekend.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
What airport do you arrive at? I went to Domodedovo two years ago for a three night business stay. We had prearranged a taxi to take us to the city centre which is about an hour and a half away. When we eventually got through immigration / customs we could not find our taxi.

Isn't there a decent train service straight into the city centre from Domodedovo, or whatever the airport Easyjet flies into?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Isn't there a decent train service straight into the city centre from Domodedovo, or whatever the airport Easyjet flies into?

Yes there is. I have already booked tickets. It takes about 45 mins and costs under £10 each. It's then one tube stop to our hotel (Hilton)

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
What airport do you arrive at? I went to Domodedovo two years ago for a three night business stay. We had prearranged a taxi to take us to the city centre which is about an hour and a half away. When we eventually got through immigration / customs we could not find our taxi. There were lots of taxi drivers touting for business and some were quite pushy saying they were the ones we had booked. Our booked taxi driver eventually arrived with a sign board with our name on it and apologised for being late due to traffic. We followed him out to the taxi noticing he had a gun sticking out of his back pocket! The traffic in Moscow is horrendous, and we arrived at our hotel 90 minutes later. We were about an hours walk from Red Square so we walked rather than use taxis due to the jams everywhere. If you are brave you can do what the locals do and just stand at the kerb and hold your arm up which signals you want a lift. A lot of car drivers just stop and ask where you want to go, you agree a fare and take your chance!
The subway is fantastic but there are no English translations so make sure you get on the correct train and write down the name of the station you need to go to and want to return to.
Red Square / Kremlin / The Moscow River is quite a site and a must do. Lots of museums. Large massive grey buildings everywhere. The food is usually served in large portions. Also make sure you try the local vodka. A large glass is served slightly warm which you down in one go!
Hope you enjoy your weekend.

Thanks for that. As mentioned above I'm getting a train instead. It's non stop and cheap!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Have a great trip, be careful getting taxis as they will rip you off!

I got a taxi with no rear window and after missing a turn on the motorway the driver stopped and reversed back 200m. Being riped off was the least of my worries. I also had my wallet stolen with all of our spending money in it and my wife was literally thrown out of Basil Cathedral after over asserting herself when they said she would not be able to revisit the alter which she missed one her first lap of the venue.

That said the Kremlin is amazing and also go and see The Armory. Fascinating city but don't expect a relaxing time.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Just sitting at Moscow airport waiting for the plane home.

Lets just say Moscow isn't really set up for or interested in tourists. The main things we came to see (Kremlin and St Basil's cathedral) have been closed all weekend despite contrary info on their websites. Everywhere is really expensive (£17 for two coffees earlier) and trying to rip you off. It's dusty everywhere and the tube is very hard to navigate if you don't speak Russian.

As for the people - I have never come across a country where everybody is so bloody miserable all the time.

Oh, and it appears smoking is compulsory once you reach about age 12 (including in shops/hotels/restaurants).

And I missed the Wolves game to come here.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just sitting at Moscow airport waiting for the plane home.

Lets just say Moscow isn't really set up for or interested in tourists. The main things we came to see (Kremlin and St Basil's cathedral) have been closed all weekend despite contrary info on their websites. Everywhere is really expensive (£17 for two coffees earlier) and trying to rip you off. It's dusty everywhere and the tube is very hard to navigate if you don't speak Russian.

As for the people - I have never come across a country where everybody is so bloody miserable all the time.

Oh, and it appears smoking is compulsory once you reach about age 12 (including in shops/hotels/restaurants).

And I missed the Wolves game to come here.

:thumbsup: It's hard work isnt it? As I said, fascinating city but don't expect a relaxing time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here