Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet rues home draw [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
[h=3]Poyet rues home draw[/h]9:30am Wednesday 3rd April 2013 in Albion By Andy Naylor
2393563.jpg
Will Buckley watches as another chance goes begging last night. Picture by Simon Dack
Gus Poyet insists Albion are punching above their weight in the Championship play-off zone.
But he regrets his side missing the chance to put daylight between themselves and Saturday’s promotion rivals Leicester.
Last night’s 0-0 draw against mid-table Charlton at The Amex means the Seagulls remain sixth, two points above Leicester ahead of their visit.
Poyet told The Argus: “If we win the same number of points as those behind us we’ve got no problem, we’re going to be there. And if we don’t, starting on Saturday against Leicester, then you are not good enough.
“I want to remind everybody that at this moment in time I was expecting Bolton, Blackburn and Wolves to be in the top six and because they are not we are there, so thank you very much.
“Maybe if we were tenth at this moment in time we would be delighted being tenth behind all these Premiership teams so don’t take anything from the players and from us because we are where we deserve to be.”
Albion controlled the match against Charlton but a combination of keeper Ben Hamer and the woodwork denied them a fourth straight home win. Hamer tipped a Vicente shot on to the bar in stoppage time, when captain Gordon Greer also headed the recalled Spaniard’s corner against a post, to add to Poyet’s frustration after Nottingham Forest were gifted a late equaliser in Saturday’s 2-2 draw at the City Ground.
He said: “I was expecting to win. Now we have given Leicester a great chance. They shouldn’t have it. We definitely lost two points, plus the two on Saturday, that’s four.
“We were in a great position to have a very comfortable game on Saturday and them taking a massive risk to close it up. Now it’s interesting.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here