Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone know anything about Kindle Touch?

My original Kindle has died and I wanted to replace it with a Kindle Touch but although they are still advertising it no Amazon site seems to have it in stock - not amazon.co.uk, or .com or .es

I can buy it from other companies but I'm a bit concerned that Amazon don't stock their own product. Maybe they are trying to concentrate on the Fire? But I don't want that, our internet connection here in the arse end of nowhere isn't good enough and anyway I just want to be able to read books.

If I have to I'll just buy another basic Kindle but I'd prefer to get a Touch if I could.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Kindle Paperwhite is the one to go for - it replaced the Kindle Touch.

There's no way Amazon will stop selling dedicated e-readers for quite some time. Tablets just can't compete in terms of reading experience.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
My original Kindle has died and I wanted to replace it with a Kindle Touch but although they are still advertising it no Amazon site seems to have it in stock - not amazon.co.uk, or .com or .es

I can buy it from other companies but I'm a bit concerned that Amazon don't stock their own product. Maybe they are trying to concentrate on the Fire? But I don't want that, our internet connection here in the arse end of nowhere isn't good enough and anyway I just want to be able to read books.

If I have to I'll just buy another basic Kindle but I'd prefer to get a Touch if I could.

Yes get a NEXUS 7, much more variable with less limitations.

The Nexus 7 is no use to me, I don't want a tablet, just a basic reader. Bozza what will the paperwhite give me for the extra 40 quid that I won't get from the basic Kindle? As far as I can see just the ability to read it in the dark or am I missing something?

Disagree. From what Cadiz want a replacement for his Kindle by the sounds of it. Therefore, a Kindle Paperwhite is defo the way to go. They're great.

But what do I get from the paperwhite that i don't get from the basic Kindle about 40 quid cheaper? Is it just the built in light and maybe better definition, although the definition on my old Kindle was fine for what I want. And I don't need to be able to read in the dark!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
But what do I get from the paperwhite that i don't get from the basic Kindle about 40 quid cheaper? Is it just the built in light and maybe better definition, although the definition on my old Kindle was fine for what I want. And I don't need to be able to read in the dark!

Get the basic Kindle then.

It was you who was banging on about the Touch bit!

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton

Not a lot except a clearer screen, touch controls (which I find to be better) and a light.

Get the basic Kindle then.

It was you who was banging on about the Touch bit!

Yes I think that's the best plan. The only reason I brought up the Kindle Touch (I wish I hadn't now!) was that Amazon suggested it to me and it seemed worth the extra money to me. But when I tried to buy it none of their sites had it in stock and nobody could tell me when they would have it in!

So I'll get the basic one which will do everything I need.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I appreciate it!

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003

Before you throw your old Kindle away, was the problem that it wouldn't power up or charge? If so look at the link, below;

Kindle won't start or charge how to reset a kindle

This sorted the problem I had with my original Kindle.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
Kindle Touch has been discontinued.

In addition to touch and backlit display, the Paperwhite also offers support for formatting styles and layouts which older, non-touch Kindles don't. This is not a big issue if you are only going to be reading text-only titles, but some technical, academic, image-heavy titles are only available for newer Kindle devices and apps.

The Paperwhite is THE TITS.

Before you throw your old Kindle away, was the problem that it wouldn't power up or charge? If so look at the link, below;

Kindle won't start or charge how to reset a kindle

This sorted the problem I had with my original Kindle.

The screen became corrupted. It's the second time it had happened to me, I think it's a problem with the product and resetting it as you suggested doesn't fix it. The first time they sent me a new Kindle, the second time they said it was out of warranty but offered me a discount off either a new basic Kindle or a Kindle Touch, which is why I was interested in the Touch.

But it seems it doesn´t exist any more despite it still being advertised on some of Amazon's sites.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here