Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

away train travel

andy46

Mar 22, 2012
looking to save some money to middlesbrough and leeds, were 4 go for cost of 2, and/or 2 or 3 get a third off- leaving from portslade or within 10 miles would still save money !

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Need to book 12 weeks in advance for the best fairs. I paid £60 return from Portslade to Nottingham and even that meant I had to rush to the station after the match to get a certain train home. Trains for some reason seem to be ridiculously expensive.

andy46

Mar 22, 2012
i realize i cant get there for nothing, however if 2,3 or 4 people buy tickets at the same time you can save a third or half i thought ?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
i realize i cant get there for nothing, however if 2,3 or 4 people buy tickets at the same time you can save a third or half i thought ?

You might on Southern, but East Coast only release a small number of cheaper tickets and you need to get these about 3 months in advance.

Boro will cost you the best part of £80 from London now and that is with a third off with a railcard.

andy46

Mar 22, 2012
im still liking the sound of that £80 fare, ( best i found was £140 to boro- that £80 pound fare and £22 to london terminals would still save £20) cos im new to this but keen to follow the albion without getting into debt- what railcard can you get as a single adult ? ive seen people talk of £5 fares to london, do you think thats true ?- any help would be gratefully appreciated

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
im still liking the sound of that £80 fare, ( best i found was £140 to boro- that £80 pound fare and £22 to london terminals would still save £20) cos im new to this but keen to follow the albion without getting into debt- what railcard can you get as a single adult ? ive seen people talk of £5 fares to london, do you think thats true ?- any help would be gratefully appreciated

If you are under 26 then a YP Card, otherwise not a lot.

A Network Card will get you a discount in the south east.

seabass1

Aug 1, 2011
Horsham
For Leeds boys get a return to Sheffield and then Northern rail to Leeds as they do 2 for 1. also you may get a better price if you go to the group site on East Midland trains for the London Sheffield London legs, they should give you a price for groups of less then 10

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
For Leeds boys get a return to Sheffield and then Northern rail to Leeds as they do 2 for 1. also you may get a better price if you go to the group site on East Midland trains for the London Sheffield London legs, they should give you a price for groups of less then 10

This.

Also, Megabus do train tickets which many people aren't aware of, but again must be booked early in advance. May not do trains to Leeds but they do to Sheffield. If not, 12 weeks in advance as aforementioned, usually my singles from Brighton to Sheffield with a railcard are £17 e/w

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Not going this season , last season the train fare from Crap Town was £51 , the fare is now £63.

el punal

Sorry for the old cliche of - shopping around. To elaborate : I live in Southampton, so to go to Albion away games the obvious method would be to use Trainline or the rail company that operates for most of the journey in order to get the best deals. I'm afraid that this is'nt always the case particularly on cost and actual travel tines.

What I have found is that if you "piece meal" your journey you can get a better deal. For example :

To go to Peterborough (Away) Tues.16th April I can travel on SouthWest trains to Kings Cross , with a one-day travel card, return for £26.00. Catch the 15.08 from Kings Cross to Peterbro.for £8.90 single. Come back after the match on the 22.16 for £7.45 single. The timing of available trains is also more varied and gives you more choice than if you were to use a "one stop shop" policy.

Try it, it may be a bit time consuming but I reckon it will save you a few quid in the long run!

P.S. Those fares I quoted were using a rail card.

Sompting_Seagull

Jun 8, 2011
North Stand
My missus reliably informs me its £182 for two from Kings cross to Boro on train, or £171 Gatwick to Newcastle flight. Flight leaving at 8.30am arriving at 10.00. Though you'd still need to get train to ground from airport.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here