Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

POYET -"punching above our weight " - Really?

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
That old chestnut has come out again in todays Argus, Gus is saying were punching above our weight again in a push for the play offs

Kuszcak
Upson
Bridge
Bridcutt
Vicente
Lopez
Orlandi
Buckley
Ulloa

REALLY ?

Or are your tactics just not good enough GUS to get us in the play offs
And your making excusses at the right time if we do miss out on the play offs as not to dent your CV for the summer months when Leeds & probably a few other clubs come calling

ILIKECANDLES

Banned
Sep 1, 2010
There is no way you can be called 'little Brighton' anymore. Those days are gone. Nor are you punching above your weight with crowds of 28,500. I dont think you are under achieving either but he is just trying to manage your expectations.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Makes sense for the manager to try and take the pressure off the players. Some managers do it by making sure they are in the headlines themselves, rather than the players (Mourinho). Gus does it by claiming that we are a small club punching above our weight.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That old chestnut has come out again in todays Argus, Gus is saying were punching above our weight again in a push for the play offs

Kuszcak
Upson
Bridge
Bridcutt
Vicente
Lopez
Orlandi
Buckley
Ulloa

REALLY ?

And your making excusses at the right time if we do miss out on the play offs as not to dent your CV for the summer months when Leeds & probably a few other clubs come calling

Given our budget he is referring to. When you then look at the side he's put together, it's clear he's doing a great job. He's gone for the likes of Lopez and Ulloa not knowing how they'd turn out it the English game - big risks really, and to his credit they've worked out brilliantly. He's helped turn Bridcutt into arguably the best defensive midfielder in the league, and persuaded the likes of Kuszcak, Upson and Bridge that this is the club they should be forwarding their careers with. Keep up the great work I say!

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Given our budget he is referring to. When you then look at the side he's put together, it's clear he's doing a great job. He's gone for the likes of Lopez and Ulloa not knowing how they'd turn out it the English game - big risks really, and to his credit they've worked out brilliantly. He's helped turn Bridcutt into arguably the best defensive midfielder in the league, and persuaded the likes of Kuszcak, Upson and Bridge that this is the club they should be forwarding their careers with. Keep up the great work I say!
Well said Sir.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Fully agree. Also with [MENTION=4472]strings[/MENTION]. Some people read too much in to Gus' comments.

When the financial results came out it demonstrated the extreme over-spending of other clubs in the division. Poyet should be congratulated for assembling this squad whilst maintaining a sensible income/wages ratio.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
There is no way you can be called 'little Brighton' anymore. Those days are gone. Nor are you punching above your weight with crowds of 28,500. I dont think you are under achieving either but he is just trying to manage your expectations.
Wise words, Twatty. :thumbsup: We are where we might be expected to be with a competent coaching staff.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I was very sceptical about these claims earlier in the season, for exactly the same reasons mentioned above, but having seen the club's total wage bill against other clubs in this division I think Gus certainly has a point - albeit one he could probably not mention quite so often...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ulloah is, what, fourth or fifth time lucky? Not a great record. Agree with you wrt PIG, Upson, Bridge and Bridcutt though.

I think Candles is right, he's just managing expectations.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
It's more a case of the Argus twisting Gus's words IMO. Reading the article he doesn't suggest at all that we are punching above our weight and in fact states that we deserve to be where we are ! All he has said was that he expected the 3 clubs relegated from the Prem last year to be up there and above us - why does that translate into punching above our weight ?

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I was very sceptical about these claims earlier in the season, for exactly the same reasons mentioned above, but having seen the club's total wage bill against other clubs in this division I think Gus certainly has a point - albeit one he could probably not mention quite so often...

This has always puzzled me when fans quote clubs wages compared to other clubs. Is there a web site or some other media where this information is published?
The Palace board are always quoting they pay the same as Norwich or Swansea did when in championship.
Surely in the company accounts, wages are for all employees not just players, so how do you determine how much players are being paid?

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

Kuszcak
Upson
Bridge
Bridcutt
Vicente
Lopez
Orlandi
Buckley
Ulloa

REALLY ?

All designed to make him look good and help him get another job. Tosser!

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It is an inescapable fact that the club's total wage bill is below the league's average. The year West Ham went up via the play offs their wage bill for the club was around the £40m mark. Ours is less than half that.

That same season Leicester City spent £28m, Reading £27m, Birmingham City £25m, Cardiff City £21m, Hull City £19m, Bristol City £19m, Leeds United £18m, NottinghamForest £17m and Burnley £17m.

In 2012 ours was £14.7m.

Now not all of that cash is going on players at each club - but I cannot imagine all of those clubs spending considerably more have a far bigger off the pitch staff level than we have having just moved to a new stadium.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Ulloah is, what, fourth or fifth time lucky? Not a great record. Agree with you wrt PIG, Upson, Bridge and Bridcutt though.

I think Candles is right, he's just managing expectations.

CMS and who else?

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
It is an inescapable fact that the club's total wage bill is below the league's average. The year West Ham went up via the play offs their wage bill for the club was around the £40m mark. Ours is less than half that.

That same season Leicester City spent £28m, Reading £27m, Birmingham City £25m, Cardiff City £21m, Hull City £19m, Bristol City £19m, Leeds United £18m, NottinghamForest £17m and Burnley £17m.

In 2012 ours was £14.7m.

Now not all of that cash is going on players at each club - but I cannot imagine all of those clubs spending considerably more have a far bigger off the pitch staff level than we have having just moved to a new stadium.

Historic figures are not an indication of what they are now. It is clear that there has been a lot more money spent this year. They do not reflect the massive subsidy we get of Bridge from City.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
He may well have put the squad together for less than some of our rivals, which is impressive.

However man for man we have one of the best squads in this division, yes he has taken risks on players not use to the English game and credit there. However this squad is under achieving, it is a top 3 squad, yet we are scrambling around for 6th place, as we are far too inconsistent. He is the one that picks the team (tinkers) and sets out the tactics, so some of this has to come back on him.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Historic figures are not an indication of what they are now. It is clear that there has been a lot more money spent this year. They do not reflect the massive subsidy we get of Bridge from City.

You are right, it does not show what people are spending now. But it gives an idea. I for one cannot imagine many clubs looking for promotion will have RECUCED their spending on wages. As ours have gone up, so, in most instances, will others.

Of course, we only pay around a ninth of Bridge's salary - something personally I think is wrong and that loan rules need tightening.

I don't doubt we are paying the likes of Bruno et al more than a healthy wage. But equally, we won't have suddenly jumped from being a below average spender to one of the top payers in the space of a season. Birmingham, for example, still have the likes of Zigic on a weekly wage nearly four times that which we pay our top players.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
He may well have put the squad together for less than some of our rivals, which is impressive.

However man for man we have one of the best squads in this division, yes he has taken risks on players not use to the English game and credit there. However this squad is under achieving, it is a top 3 squad, yet we are scrambling around for 6th place, as we are far too inconsistent. He is the one that picks the team (tinkers) and sets out the tactics, so some of this has to come back on him.

Agree completely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here