Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can I be pendatic? I hate the description 'homophobic'....

ILIKECANDLES

Banned
Sep 1, 2010
I cant think of another one but for lots of people a phobia is a serious and debilitating conditioning, leading to mental breakdown etc where as people often described as 'homophobes' are just biggots, plain and simple. Can anyone think of a more accurate description, and one that is more media friendly.

Apologies for the type on 'pedantic'.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
A phobia is an extreme or irrational fear of something

The irrational part is key to something like homophobia.

ILIKECANDLES

Banned
Sep 1, 2010

I have quite a bit of experience with phobias and am aware of the meaning. However, the chanting and taunting described as 'homophobic' isnt irrational at all. Nor does it create a 'fight or flight' reaction, no any sort of anxiety. Its just bigoted. You would call someone chanting 'you black b.........' a Negrophobe or something equally ill fitting. They would rightly be called a racist or would be accused of using racist language.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

True but the problem with the term is that, along with a lot of other "phobia" words, it seems to be being used (as the OP implies) to relate to hatred of something rather than strictly "fear" of it. So is Islamophobia really fear of Islam, or simply dislike/hatred of it or prejudice towards it? Arguably, I suppose, some people's hatred of homosexuals or muslims is partly related to (subconscious) fear, so there may be some truth in it, but I have some sympathy with the OP's argument that it might be better to have a term which focuses on the hatred/bigotry bit, rather than the irrational fear bit.

Also given that the thread is about pedantry, another problem with homophobia as a term is that "phobia" is Greek, and "homo" in Greek means "the same" (homosexual = attraction to people of the same sex), so homophobia strictly means fear of people the same as yourself (in the same way that Arachnophobia means fear of spiders etc), rather than fear of homosexuals.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Don't see the point of this thread/discussion.

We all know what homophobia means. Seems to me this is another attempt to deflect the issue and downgrade the severity.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
'phobia' is a fear of or aversion to something. The suffix '-phobia' as part of a word is the extreme or irrational fear or dislike of something. So the word fits perfectly.

(OED definitions).

Last edited:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
All a bit extreme? What about those who do not do those things, but would rather not have homosexuality rammed down their throats on TV etc. as if it is quite normal?

If homosexuals are ramming it down your throat you should report it to the police.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
All a bit extreme? What about those who do not do those things, but would rather not have homosexuality rammed down their throats on TV etc. as if it is quite normal?

Are you suggesting homosexuality is an abnormal part of society?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here