Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What does a 40% draw rate say about the team?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Does it indicate that we are a team that should do better defensively, conceding when we should be tighter at the back?.... or are we a team punching slightly above our weight, lacking the strength to finish teams off?..... or something else perhaps?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Suggests we aren't clinical enough but that we're also very very hard to beat.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I think it's laughable to suggest we aren't good enough defensively. I believe we've got one of the best defences as far as the stats go. Our issue, this season more than last season, is teams respect that we dominate the game at home a lot of the time so make themselves very difficult to break down. We went with a very attacking line up last night in the hope of getting an early goal, but it didn't work out. We've had many games like that this season, last night (in my opinion) it was due to constant poor delivery's by both our wingers giving us very few chances.

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
We are usually set up to draw or some would say NOT lose the game, only in the last couple have we put out serious attacking teams at home, from the start.It is a very tough division though as the points gap between play-offs and relegation zone shows, not a huge amount between any team.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Suggests that too many teams find it easier to stick 11 men behind the ball when we play them and we haven't got the quality/luck to break them down. We also seem to sit back when we score against attack minded teams away from home and let in too many late equalisers rather than going for the killer goal.

We are a team in the making, sometimes I read NSC and think that we are way too demanding. The negativity that came after last night's result shocked me. Pretty well all the teams around us are getting nervous and dropping points. It's just the way it is in such a tight division.

If we only get a draw against Leicester I think this place may go into meltdown, when it wouldn't actually be that bad a result.

These are great days, you wouldn't know it reading NSC most of the time

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Not closing out away games when we are ahead is an issue (Wolves, Birmingham, Forest). I think we have the quality, just sometimes we lack the concentration over 90 minutes.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Does it indicate that we are a team that should do better defensively, conceding when we should be tighter at the back?.... or are we a team punching slightly above our weight, lacking the strength to finish teams off?..... or something else perhaps?

Think we've one of the best defence's, what's the percentage since Ulloa has joined us ? We look loads better with the big man up front.

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
Very tight in defence, Just lacking fire power... The set up of the team in the last 3 games has been for more attack minded and consequently look better for it (except yesterday maybe when there was a servere lack of finishing).

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Suggests that too many teams find it easier to stick 11 men behind the ball when we play them and we haven't got the quality/luck to break them down. We also seem to sit back when we score and let in too many late equalisers rather than going for the killer goal.

We are a team in the making, sometimes I read NSC and think that we are way too demanding. The negativity that came after last night's result shocked me. Pretty well all the teams around us are getting nervous and dropping points. It's just the way it is in such a tight division.

If we only get a draw against Leicester I think this place may go into meltdown, when it wouldn't actually be that bad a result.

These are great days
, you wouldn't know it reading NSC most of the time

If we get a draw against Leicester, it would not be a bad result in isolation. However, with just six points from the last six games, we are nearer relegation form than promotion form, and another draw will continue that poor run. We are not is a dogfight with other teams catching us, Forest and Leicester. Draws are little use to us, and we would be better of to have won three games and lost the other three, of the past six games. The win against the Scum was obviously great, and we have found some form over the last three games in terms of style of play - when we attack, but refering to these as "great days", I am sorry, but they are far from that.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'd also say, that this season we've really lacked a bit of favour from lady luck. Last season we probably got more than our fair share, however this season little deflections, run of the ball, little bits of fortune just don't seem to happen for us.

Last night was the second game running we've had a certain goal somehow deflected off a defenders head who was completely none the wiser. Even from the resultant corner the post saves them.

We can analyse last night with a microscope, and we could have played better, however we had enough chances to win. Criticise the manager, tactics etc. but take Buckley's header from Vicente's cross, you just don't get better chances than that at this level playing well drilled defensive teams. We should be discussing a well earned 1-0 win.

I wasn't too down hearted yesterday, we deserved the 3 points at Forest other than an inexplicable blunder, and really were only a slice of good fortune away from a hard victory last night.

Bring on Saturday I say.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
, but refering to these as "great days", I am sorry, but they are far from that.

In our history how mny seasons have we been in a position as good as this with a future so bright? You really are a hard man to please if you don't see these as great days imo.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
It says to me that if we'd had Ulloa from the start of the season we would be in the automatic promotion places right now, possibly even pushing Cardiff for top spot.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If we get a draw against Leicester, it would not be a bad result in isolation. However, with just six points from the last six games, we are nearer relegation form than promotion form, and another draw will continue that poor run. We are not is a dogfight with other teams catching us, Forest and Leicester. Draws are little use to us, and we would be better of to have won three games and lost the other three, of the past six games. The win against the Scum was obviously great, and we have found some form over the last three games in terms of style of play - when we attack, but refering to these as "great days", I am sorry, but they are far from that.

These are great days, we play some great football at times, and are a match for any team in this division. Dead unlucky not to have beaten the in form team in the league on Saturday, and dominated if not converting to goals the game against Charlton last night. We are currently in the top 5 in the home form table, midtable for away form. We've just played the 2 most in form teams in the league away from home in Forest and Bolton, and to be fair, played well enough in both to have all 6 points rather than just the 1.

I genuinely think too many people on here comment on the results and stats only and haven't actually seen or appreciated the performances/effort. Genuinely looking forward to Saturday to watch our superb exciting team. If you can't enjoy this or treat these as special times, then I can only feel sorry for you to be honest.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
In our history how mny seasons have we been in a position as good as this with a future so bright? You really are a hard man to please if you don't see these as great days imo.

Having enjoyed the late 70s and early 80s, with the exception of the AMEX, and now Ulloa, these days are simply "good". Two seasons running we were far more dominant in this League, and the next few we were in what is now the Premiership with a FA Cup Final and replay. We had top level managers in Mullery (recent England Captain) and Brian Clough (who had won the League and managed a European Cup semi-final team), and Peter Taylor who was his side-kick. Even Mike Bailey got us to mid-table in the top flight, and Twinkle Toes to Wembley. They were great days! We still have a long way to go to match them - which I am sure TB is doing his best to bring about.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
These are great days, we play some great football at times, and are a match for any team in this division. Dead unlucky not to have beaten the in form team in the league on Saturday, and dominated if not converting to goals the game against Charlton last night. We are currently in the top 5 in the home form table, midtable for away form. We've just played the 2 most in form teams in the league away from home in Forest and Bolton, and to be fair, played well enough in both to have all 6 points rather than just the 1.

I genuinely think too many people on here comment on the results and stats only and haven't actually seen or appreciated the performances/effort. Genuinely looking forward to Saturday to watch our superb exciting team. If you can't enjoy this or treat these as special times, then I can only feel sorry for you to be honest.

So, how many points from the last SIX games?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The fact that a lot of teams have come to the Amex to defend is a compliment. They are scared of us. We just do not quite have the guile sometimes to break teams down or take our chances we we get them. It is frustrating, but we really are close to being a very good team, and we can only get better.

And I would rather draw 40% than lose 40%.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Having enjoyed the late 70s and early 80s, with the exception of the AMEX, and now Ulloa, these days are simply "good". Two seasons running we were far more dominant in this League, and the next few we were in what is now the Premiership with a FA Cup Final and replay. We had top level managers in Mullery (recent England Captain) and Brian Clough (who had won the League and managed a European Cup semi-final team), and Peter Taylor who was his side-kick. Even Mike Bailey got us to mid-table in the top flight, and Twinkle Toes to Wembley. They were great days! We still have a long way to go to match them - which I am sure TB is doing his best to bring about.

I too was there and I am getting the same buzz that we had on our climb through the Leagues, we are better placed to make it last this time, should we get there. Things have changed so much, teams very seldom dominate this league these days. I will continue to think of these as great days if not yet the best days.

Fwiw I didn't enjoy the days in the top division anywhere near as much as the climb there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here